Egg bound??

All chickens die of unknown reasons unless you get the body necropsied. But the best guess with your hen is a chronic reproductive issue that is not treatable. I lost a hen to this issue just last week after trying to treat her with calcium, an antibiotic, and miconazole for the accompanying crop issue. I even tube fed her to keep up her strength. But she died despite doing all that.

I believe the only things you haven't tried are tube feeding and an antibiotic. If you're not ready to give up, you can try those to satisfy your doubts about doing all you could.

Well this sucks ): I’ve never had a chicken just die for unknown reasons.
@HeathenHavenHomestead I'm sorry about the loss of your hen.

I agree with @azygous unless you get a necropsy through your state lab or do an informal one yourself, the reason will remain unknown. But there is a reason. I also agree, very likely a reproductive issue.

All chickens die of unknown reasons unless you get the body necropsied. But the best guess with your hen is a chronic reproductive issue that is not treatable. I lost a hen to this issue just last week after trying to treat her with calcium, an antibiotic, and miconazole for the accompanying crop issue. I even tube fed her to keep up her strength. But she died despite doing all that.

I believe the only things you haven't tried are tube feeding and an antibiotic. If you're not ready to give up, you can try those to satisfy your doubts about doing all you could.

She has passed away 😞
I'm sorry to hear about you losing your hen. :( I was just reading your post because I have found one of my hens in a similar situation. She didn't come out of the coop right away and she's now walking around puffed. I went to look at her and she had a piece of broken egg shell stuck to her back end with some white poop around it. Was there anything you wish you would've done differently in treating your hen? I have the human calcium that I'm giving her, kind of like you did. Mine has had several soft shelled eggs over the past couple weeks, but she did lay a normal egg 2-3 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your hen. :( I was just reading your post because I have found one of my hens in a similar situation. She didn't come out of the coop right away and she's now walking around puffed. I went to look at her and she had a piece of broken egg shell stuck to her back end with some white poop around it. Was there anything you wish you would've done differently in treating your hen? I have the human calcium that I'm giving her, kind of like you did. Mine has had several soft shelled eggs over the past couple weeks, but she did lay a normal egg 2-3 days ago.
Do you have a thread about your hen? If you do, I can't find it.

Can you gently feel inside her vent for any egg shell pieces?
Is she pooping?

I'd give her the Calcium to help with contractions, but if she had egg material or an egg break inside of her, then I'd also start her on an antibiotic like Amoxicillin to hopefully head off infection. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice daily for 7-10days.

I gave her calcium mixed in oatmeal or scratch grains throughout the day today (human 500 mg calcium tabs with vitamin D). I didn't feel for more shell. I've never done that before. Thankfully, a couple hours ago she got rid of a large amount of shell! She has been pooping tiny poops that are green and white, so I think that means she hasn't been eating. She drank well. I put nutridrench in her water. It was late when she passed the shell, so I'm letting her sleep for the night and I can start her on antibiotics in the morning. I have cephalexin and amoxicillin capsules.
Do you have a thread about your hen? If you do, I can't find it.

Can you gently feel inside her vent for any egg shell pieces?
Is she pooping?

I'd give her the Calcium to help with contractions, but if she had egg material or an egg break inside of her, then I'd also start her on an antibiotic like Amoxicillin to hopefully head off infection. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice daily for 7-10days

I gave her calcium mixed in oatmeal or scratch grains throughout the day today (human 500 mg calcium tabs with vitamin D). I didn't feel for more shell. I've never done that before. Thankfully, a couple hours ago she got rid of a large amount of shell! She has been pooping tiny poops that are green and white, so I think that means she hasn't been eating. She drank well. I put nutridrench in her water. It was late when she passed the shell, so I'm letting her sleep for the night and I can start her on antibiotics in the morning. I have cephalexin and amoxicillin capsules.
I'd give her the Amoxicillin.

You can give her the Calcium directly, just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow it.

Make sure she's drinking very well.

Back
Top Bottom