Egg bound

The best thing would be to take her to a vet and have her poop checked for bacteria and yeast. Be very careful giving her a bath as sometimes that is too stressful and will kill them.

-Kathy

Now that I think about it, I collected eggs about a week ago and found 3 of them in one nesting box (they use the same nesting box for some reason) covered in messy yolk. I just thought one broke and one they ate the shell. Maybe she laid an egg with no shell?

Its possible the egg has broken inside and is getting an infection from it.

I just dealt with that, my hen also had a broken egg and blood coming out of her vent, and the birds went after her and caused more damage to her. They go for the broken egg spilling out and the blood. I did a vent exam and cleaned out remaining egg, no shell. I then did a douche with white vinegar and water to clean her out. I treated her with antibiotics. She seems fine and has healed from what I can see. I had to make her an apron so she could go back outside. I noticed the previous day a soft egg under the roost. Most likely hers.

This happened a few months back too. I thought she may have prolapsed then and the birds pecked her and the prolapsed went back in on its on. she was bleeding and was stinky. I gave her an epsom salt bath, she had a very wet dirty stinky bum. I thought she also had vent Gleet, so I treated her for that and then with antibiotics were she was sore in her vent. She was having diahrea.

Its is sometimes hard to truly know whats going on. I was outside with them when the broken egg came out of her. Chickens are Caníbales.

The best thing would be to take her to a vet and have her poop checked for bacteria and yeast. Be very careful giving her a bath as sometimes that is too stressful and will kill them.

-Kathy

X2

At least doing this you would know what your dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom