Egg Breaking or Egg Eating? Is there a difference?? New Pullets HELP!

keeko

Songster
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
Asheville, NC
Hello everyone!

I think there are some changes in my egg-eating behavior...I have young pullets that have just started to lay...one RIR is laying consistently now for 3 weeks! But everyone else is very slow to catch up. Two days ago I walked outside JUST as a Buff Orp was gobbling up what was left of an egg!! I think she learned it from another hen, who I've isolated from the flock. Aside from those two, I have two Ameraucanas that are breaking their soft eggs...I know because it would have been my first GREEN egg!!
sad.png

So now I don't know what's going on...someone tells me egg breaking is normal for young pullets who are laying very soft eggs (the shells I've found are definitely soft). One Ameraucana leaves her yolks everywhere...the other one gobbles them up. Is there a difference between egg breaking and egg eating? Is it from the same thing? What else can I do to stop it - and will it go away?

In my set up, the girls have everything, btw. They get treats other than their layer feed almost every day. They free range in the evenings in the backyard at least every other day. They have oyster shells and grit available at all times. Always fresh water too, and a spacious run. UGH, I don't know what's going on!

Please help. I've done the mustard egg thing and it only half works. (most of the girls leave the mustard alone, sometimes they'll eat the shell around it without too much mustard on it.)

I'd be open to absolutely any suggestions!! THANKS in advance!

Sorry I can't help you-I'm in the same predicament. Just came from the coop with two perfect uncracked eggs, however one egg was smeared in yellow as was one of the legs of a pullet. They've only started laying a week ago. 5 out of 25 are laying as far as I know but it may be more... What to do??? I am going out each hour to check the boxes to nab the eggs as they are layed....

Yes, that's what we're doing too. My husband and I work from home, so we're out there nearly all morning, and every 20 minutes throughout the day for the past 3 days. I'm exhausted!!

You might be in luck though - try to nab the head "egg eater" and separate her from the flock. I don't think I did that in time, and she spread the egg eating habit/disease to my other girls! I definitely know who it was because I saw her, and she's been a trouble maker since she was 10 days old, LOL. I've read to keep the main egg eater from the flock for at least a week, maybe more until you see the problem clear up. The only solution I've heard is to cull the one who's doing it, since she'll taint the rest of your flock. I'm really bummed, but I'd be willing to sacrifice one hen if it meant the rest of the flock didn't do it for the rest of their lives....

Anyone have suggestions for us two egg-less souls????

Back
Top Bottom