Egg broke and was sticking out of vent, now chicken is lethargic !

Flamestone

Chirping
Jul 9, 2021
Hi guys. I’ve been asking a few questions the last few months on her about my hen who’s been having a lot of problems, and I really appreciate the help so far.
Last night she tried to lay a very thin egg (she had an infection in her oviduct, this is her second attempt at an egg since I treated with antibiotics), the egg looked like it either collapsed inside her or cracked when it was being pushed out. 3/4 of the shell was hanging off her and 1/4 was still inside. As soon as I saw it I very gently removed the connected piece that was still in her vent. After this she did poop (watery) and seemed normal. I did check her vent and it looked like there were very small scratches, which I cleaned and put antibiotic ointment on.
However, today she seems lethargic and doesn’t really want to eat. Her poops are very watery. I also saw last night that there are small white-ish worms in her poop, which i’ve never seen before.
Is ivermectin a good treatment for the worms, and what’s your guys’ take on why she’s acting odd??

Can you check her vent for any possible flystrike and maggots? Do you have a picture of the small worms you saw? It sounds like maggots which can be serious. Hens who are having problems with shell-less or thin shelled eggs that break, may feel very weak and lifeless. Giving a human calcium with vitamin D3 tablet daily for several days to a week, may help strengthen the shells and the ability to pass an egg. There could be others coming on the way. Usually, they gain strength when they lay the egg and feel better unless another one comes. I would offer some fluids and cooked egg or watery feed. Electrolytes or something like Poultry NutriDrench can be helpful 2 ml orally.

Can you check her vent for any possible flystrike and maggots? Do you have a picture of the small worms you saw? It sounds like maggots which can be serious. Hens who are having problems with shell-less or thin shelled eggs that break, may feel very weak and lifeless. Giving a human calcium with vitamin D3 tablet daily for several days to a week, may help strengthen the shells and the ability to pass an egg. There could be others coming on the way. Usually, they gain strength when they lay the egg and feel better unless another one comes. I would offer some fluids and cooked egg or watery feed. Electrolytes or something like Poultry NutriDrench can be helpful 2 ml orally.
I can definitely check, do you think the maggots would be deep inside of the vent? I’ll attach a photo of the ones in her poop, I’m sorry they’re so hard to see. I took a video of them because they were moving a lot.
I’ll go and buy calcium tablets right now, how should those be fed to her, dissolved?
And thank you so much for your continued help, taking care of Angel the last month or two has been much easier with your advice.

Attachments

• E5747420-4FD5-486F-84FC-1C9FAA804513.jpeg
    E5747420-4FD5-486F-84FC-1C9FAA804513.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 7335A8EE-5058-4BAF-A0C7-27F8453CD58C.jpeg
    7335A8EE-5058-4BAF-A0C7-27F8453CD58C.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 21
I see some white stringy things, but could those just be urates? The pictures are out of focus. I doubt that those are worms or maggot, but not sure. A more clear picture would help. Tapeworm segments may be seen in poop moving around. Maggots also move. Maggots can enter the vent from the skin. Usually this happens when there is a soiled vent or a cut that gets fly larvae, and the maggots hatch out. Here is an article about flystike just to see what that looks like:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

I see some white stringy things, but could those just be urates? The pictures are out of focus. I doubt that those are worms or maggot, but not sure. A more clear picture would help. Tapeworm segments may be seen in poop moving around. Maggots also move. Maggots can enter the vent from the skin. Usually this happens when there is a soiled vent or a cut that gets fly larvae, and the maggots hatch out. Here is an article about flystike just to see what that looks like:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
They were moving in her poop- very small clear/white worms yea. I’m not sure it’s maggots, she has nothing around her vent / fluff near it, when I looked inside her vent it looked clear of any worms. I can certainly look deeper.

She just pooped this out?? Not sure if it’s from the egg that broke or signs of another problem, she’s never pooped out yellow before

Attachments

• F3FCF46F-6FA8-4638-9D09-D93D0546DA58.jpeg
    F3FCF46F-6FA8-4638-9D09-D93D0546DA58.jpeg
    609.1 KB · Views: 22
It looks like bile from the liver. Please update with other pictures of droppings. Here is a good video of tapeworms moving in droppings:

oh boy :( she’s had liver problems for a while now, she had water belly around a month ago which i’ve been trying to treat. I hope it’s not catching up to her - it doesn’t feel like any more water has built up.
For the worms i’ll try to get a clearer picture if they show up in her poop again- It doesn’t look like those tapeworms to me but I have no idea. I’ll try to upload a video on one of the approved sites and put the link here.

Back
Top Bottom