Egg broke and was sticking out of vent, now chicken is lethargic !

She still doesn’t want to eat, tried all of her favorite foods. I also still haven’t seen any dead worms! Is this an issue or do they die post treatment?

She still doesn’t want to eat, tried all of her favorite foods. I also still haven’t seen any dead worms! Is this an issue or do they die post treatment?
It might be hard to find, but I would try finding a watermelon. I had a hen with a similar issue last year, I had her on antibiotics. The only thing she would eat is watermelon for a couple of days and then after three days she started eating black soldier fly larvae and then her normal feed

Enrofloxacin 10% is what I used last time for 5 days.
What would it mean if her crop didn’t empty overnight?

Most of the time the body would absorb the worms if they die.
What you were seeing is Cecal worms. They are so tiny to begin with, if they were in the poop that probably would not be recognizable.

What does it mean if the crop is not emptying overnight? It means that the digestive system has slowed down for some reason. It's not uncommon for crop symptoms to arise when there's something reproductive going on.
Re-check the crop again, first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. (after a night's sleep with not access to food/water)

If her crop is not empty, then I'd begin to address the symptom. The article linked below will give you a start.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Most of the time the body would absorb the worms if they die.
What you were seeing is Cecal worms. They are so tiny to begin with, if they were in the poop that probably would not be recognizable.

What does it mean if the crop is not emptying overnight? It means that the digestive system has slowed down for some reason. It's not uncommon for crop symptoms to arise when there's something reproductive going on.
Re-check the crop again, first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. (after a night's sleep with not access to food/water)

If her crop is not empty, then I'd begin to address the symptom. The article linked below will give you a start.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Great to hear. Okay. Worm treatment is finished, tonight will be the third day of antibiotics, and still giving her aceites remedy, which hopefully helps. Her comb does fluctuate between dark in the tips to looking normal. Other than that, she is eating watermelon! A little at a time but much better than nothing. Her crop is also emptying!
I also wanted to ask, for de-worming do I wait 10 days from the initial dose or last dose?

Thank you so much for your help so far :)

What are you using? Safeguard for 5 days? If so, then no repeat.
Hey so she’s still not eating :( she’ll only eat watermelon which I assume has very little that supports her body, I’m giving her supplements like kicken chicken and an electrolyte but not sure what else I can do? Is this reproductive issue impossible to treat?

Is her crop emptying?
Is she pooping at all?
Is she moving about or just stationary/lethargic?

Some reproductive issues can be difficult to treat, supportive care is often the best you can do.
Try offering wet feed, a little scrambled egg or tuna to see if you can entice her to eat her normal feed.

Is her crop emptying?
Is she pooping at all?
Is she moving about or just stationary/lethargic?

Some reproductive issues can be difficult to treat, supportive care is often the best you can do.
Try offering wet feed, a little scrambled egg or tuna to see if you can entice her to eat her normal feed.
Her crop is emptying yes, she’s pooping still but it’s very watery w/ green solids. She is also still moving around, but will stand or sit in one area for most of the time. If she was eating she would almost seem normal.
And I’ll try tuna soon, thank you. She hasn’t had much protein recently so hopefully that works

Hey again, this exact same thing is happening again with her. She fully recovered last time and even started laying eggs again, but around 3 days ago stopped eating right after she laid a small egg. This time however she is barely eating watermelon and won’t eat anything else at all, mostly sleeping all day, although her tail is still up. Her poop is also watery and more green than last time, i’ll attach a pic.

I’m not sure if this is another infection I should give her antibiotics for or what’s going on, It seems like every month or so it’s a new problem with her.

Attachments

• IMG_5070.jpeg
    IMG_5070.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm sorry she's starting to decline again.
This can often happen with hens that have reproductive disorders, they have their ups and downs until finally they are not able to overcome the condition that is causing their symptoms.

I'd work on getting her hydrated. Electrolytes for a couple of days. I'd try extra calcium for about 3 days to see if she's having problems expelling the lash material or an egg.
You can try antibiotics again to see if those make a difference. Salpingitis is inflammation of the oviduct, so they may help reduce that.

Back
Top Bottom