egg candler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ashleyy_x3, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    soo im cheap. well actually im not.. i just dont have a lot of money to spare... so i was wondering if anyone would sell me an egg candler for likkee 10-15 bucks or less? [​IMG] i gotta know how my silkie eggs are comin along! (and for anyone who read the Boob-bator thread before it got deleted, or is following on the blog.. gotta know how them eggs are comin along too! [​IMG])

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont have one to sale but do you have a brooder lamp?
    I saw somewhere on here about someone useing a brooder lamp with cradbord on top witha hole cut out.. I found it gets really hot but I use a clear 40 watt bulb that cost me like 3 dollers and so far the onely eggs I cant see in are some deep olive eggs.

3. erik520

erik520 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    mount airy
    Hello
    I've made a candler out of a small cardbord box befor.
    Use a strong flash light and or a top part of a old lamp and a 60 watt light bulb. line the box with tin foil,cut a hole for the light in the side. Then screw the light in to the socket and cut a small hole about the size of a dime in the top. This is a basic candler. "Be very careful not to burn your slef on the bulb it will get very hot, also do not leave box on for more than 5 mins!". Tilt the egg on the side large side down to see the embro. A dark room also helps look in side the egg. good luck!

4. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I made mine out of an old Quaker Oat tube and just slip it over a lamp. Very easy to use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Total cost? Nothing. I had the light fixture out in the garage. Cut the cord off of an old iron that didn't work anymore and just put the extra oats in a plastic bag.

Bil

5. Ashleyy_x3

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    ooo i like your idea Bil! i think id be able to make that!

6. lakeshorenc

lakeshorenc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    My DH made me this one out of a boiled peanut can. He used some kind of drill bit to make the hole.*** Just talked to him and he said it was called a hole saw that you use to make a hole in a door to put the knobs on door. He said it was dull and by pushing on it it bent the ring in so it's not sharp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. Ashleyy_x3

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    lakeshorenc- i love your homemade candler! but i dontt think i have a hole saw laying around anywhere.. haha [​IMG]

8. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    i usally just use a flash ligt works great fro me

9. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    just use a bright led flashlight ( i am sure you have a flashlight somewere in your house) and then just cup your hand around the egg

10. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    These are great ideas! I was going to buy an egg candler, but I think the prices are outrageous for what amounts to a glorified flashlight. Thanks for the tips! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by