egg candler?

Ashleyy_x3

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Maine
soo im cheap. well actually im not.. i just dont have a lot of money to spare... so i was wondering if anyone would sell me an egg candler for likkee 10-15 bucks or less?
big_smile.png
i gotta know how my silkie eggs are comin along! (and for anyone who read the Boob-bator thread before it got deleted, or is following on the blog.. gotta know how them eggs are comin along too!
tongue.png
)

I dont have one to sale but do you have a brooder lamp?
I saw somewhere on here about someone useing a brooder lamp with cradbord on top witha hole cut out.. I found it gets really hot but I use a clear 40 watt bulb that cost me like 3 dollers and so far the onely eggs I cant see in are some deep olive eggs.

Hello
I've made a candler out of a small cardbord box befor.
Use a strong flash light and or a top part of a old lamp and a 60 watt light bulb. line the box with tin foil,cut a hole for the light in the side. Then screw the light in to the socket and cut a small hole about the size of a dime in the top. This is a basic candler. "Be very careful not to burn your slef on the bulb it will get very hot, also do not leave box on for more than 5 mins!". Tilt the egg on the side large side down to see the embro. A dark room also helps look in side the egg. good luck!

I made mine out of an old Quaker Oat tube and just slip it over a lamp. Very easy to use.

3318314334_1a5c14ba2f.jpg

3318313446_f926dc50d9.jpg

3318315860_06653c09cc.jpg

Total cost? Nothing. I had the light fixture out in the garage. Cut the cord off of an old iron that didn't work anymore and just put the extra oats in a plastic bag.

Bil

My DH made me this one out of a boiled peanut can. He used some kind of drill bit to make the hole.*** Just talked to him and he said it was called a hole saw that you use to make a hole in a door to put the knobs on door. He said it was dull and by pushing on it it bent the ring in so it's not sharp.

011-2.jpg

013-3.jpg

Last edited:
lakeshorenc- i love your homemade candler! but i dontt think i have a hole saw laying around anywhere.. haha
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom