Egg candlers

The Little Country Farm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Liberty, MS
Could any one tell me what a good type of egg candler is for regular eggs as well as dark eggs like the Maran eggs??? I haven't bought a candler yet but am looking to buy one soon and I need one that would be good for both types of eggs. Thanks in advance!
smile.png

Most any egg candler will do. They sell expensive ones, but the best I've found are the small ones that are almost like a flashlight. If you are good, all that is needed is a flashlight and a dark room. However, GQF sells a cheap one that works well, I believe it is also sold by McMurrary and other mail order companies.

I used just a cheap LED flashlight to start with and it worked pretty well, but I ended up getting an Ovascope last month and I absolutely love it. It's amazing how much detail I can see inside the eggs, even the thick shelled or dark colored ones.

I made this on and it works great. I lined the inside of the cardboard with foil.
IMG_3079.jpg

Checking for cracks (shipped eggs)
IMG_3082.jpg

Quote:
The ones from ebay are just flaslights. I bought a 10 pack of them from HD for $9.00. Identical, right down to the colors. They do work good for candlers though.

Quote:
The ones from ebay are just flaslights. I bought a 10 pack of them from HD for $9.00. Identical, right down to the colors. They do work good for candlers though.

I thought they looked like flashlights. I guess as long as they're cheap it wouldn't matter to much.

Back
Top Bottom