Egg candling confusion

I know I would have rather bought locally, especially since you get to see the farm, the birds etc. I hope someday I can work up to something profitable, I definitely wouldn't have a problem with incubating a lot of bantams lol! :D
Yes, exactly! I'm rooting for you Weeg! You got this! It might encourage me to get started on my own chick business, too! :lol:

You should! Its fun and a great opportunity to learn about genetics, which I know nothing about lol! I'll keep you posted on how it goes, Its gonna be super fun!
I'd love that! Genetics are so fascinating! I love the different feather color variations the most. I always thought if I did focus on genetics, that would be my focus but like you I am clueless! Hahaha

I'd love that! Genetics are so fascinating! I love the different feather color variations the most. I always thought if I did focus on genetics, that would be my focus but like you I am clueless! Hahaha
I've always been interested in sex-linking haha. I know its simple, and the breeds to do so aren't hard to find. I think I might expand my horizons to Sex-linking next year if the "business" gets enough customers.

I've always been interested in sex-linking haha. I know its simple, and the breeds to do so aren't hard to find. I think I might expand my horizons to Sex-linking next year if the "business" gets enough customers.
I just spoke to a local breeder who only has room for 5 mature hens but shes making a little business out of it. Gotta start somewhere, right? :lol:

What kind of bantams do you have now?

I just spoke to a local breeder who only has room for 5 mature hens but shes making a little business out of it. Gotta start somewhere, right? :lol:

What kind of bantams do you have now?
Totally! Gotta start some where.
Right now I have 1 bird from each of the following breeds lol! I was going for at least a pair of each breed, but hatch rates and casualties didn't let that happen for me.
I have 1 Blue bantam Silkie, 1 Gray Japanese bantam, 1 Red Laced White Cornish bantam, and a Calico Cochin bantam.
I tried to incubate a clutch of Cochin bantams, but only 1 hatched due to shipping, so I got 2 Silkies, 2 Japanese and a Red laced cornish from TSC in the mixed bantam bin, since my hatchling needed siblings. One Silkie didn't make it, passing the next day from pasty butt, (darn TSC brooders!) My single hatchling Cochin and a Japanese died after my heating plate failed. :(
Then I had a Silkie, Japanese and soon to find out I had a Red Laced White Cornish, all bantams. I then incubated Calico Cochins, but the way the eggs were stored caused only 2 to hatch. Recently 1 was killed in a dog attack.
So here I am. My brilliant idea of breeding pens has back fired to a mixed flock, with a 1 Silkie, and 1 Calico Cochin rooster, and I'll only be able to keep one. :barnie
Raising chicks is tragic and frustrating. :he
You gotta start some where hahahaha!

Totally! Gotta start some where.
Right now I have 1 bird from each of the following breeds lol! I was going for at least a pair of each breed, but hatch rates and casualties didn't let that happen for me.
I have 1 Blue bantam Silkie, 1 Gray Japanese bantam, 1 Red Laced White Cornish bantam, and a Calico Cochin bantam.
I tried to incubate a clutch of Cochin bantams, but only 1 hatched due to shipping, so I got 2 Silkies, 2 Japanese and a Red laced cornish from TSC in the mixed bantam bin, since my hatchling needed siblings. One Silkie didn't make it, passing the next day from pasty butt, (darn TSC brooders!) My single hatchling Cochin and a Japanese died after my heating plate failed. :(
Then I had a Silkie, Japanese and soon to find out I had a Red Laced White Cornish, all bantams. I then incubated Calico Cochins, but the way the eggs were stored caused only 2 to hatch. Recently 1 was killed in a dog attack.
So here I am. My brilliant idea of breeding pens has back fired to a mixed flock, with a 1 Silkie, and 1 Calico Cochin rooster, and I'll only be able to keep one. :barnie
Raising chicks is tragic and frustrating. :he
You gotta start some where hahahaha!
You really do! Even if you make 100 mistakes, you just learn 100 ways not to do something.
If you're honest, caring, and determined I'm sure you'll be successful!

I got 2 silkies because I heard they're known to be broody but one crowed for the first time yesterday. DH says I should keep the cockerel until we get chicks but who knows when that will be 🙄
What about you? What breeds would you have to work with if you started a flock business?
I'm not entirely sure. Initially, I wanted a mix from the chicks I raised a year ago but none of them went broody and he was so mean, he had to go. Then, I thought if I raised silkies I could wait until they went broody and then buy ayam cemani (sp?) eggs and try my luck with that.
Hahaha I'm in the day dreaming stage.
Then, my flock got roost mites and I've been second guessing myself since. Gahhhh 🤦‍♀️

ou really do! Even if you make 100 mistakes, you just learn 100 ways not to do something.
If you're honest, caring, and determined I'm sure you'll be successful!

I got 2 silkies because I heard they're known to be broody but one crowed for the first time yesterday. DH says I should keep the cockerel until we get chicks but who knows when that will be 🙄
Your definitely right! I've learned, don't buy shipped eggs unless they're for a broody, don't count on a cardboard brooder to protect chick from dogs, and much more. You have a very good way of putting it.
Well maybe you'll get a pare and be able to breed them. I got Silkies because I heard they were broody as well. I love broody hens, and a Silkie to get a more guarantee hatch rate for me would be awesome!
I'm not entirely sure. Initially, I wanted a mix from the chicks I raised a year ago but none of them went broody and he was so mean, he had to go. Then, I thought if I raised silkies I could wait until they went broody and then buy ayam cemani (sp?) eggs and try my luck with that.
Hahaha I'm in the day dreaming stage.
Then, my flock got roost mites and I've been second guessing myself since. Gahhhh 🤦‍♀️
Its a great idea! I have a bad habit of leaving all my eggs out in the coop for a few days, and that cause every singe one of my ducks to do broody lol! Have you been leaving the eggs out?
Oh no! I HATE roost mites! They're the worst! I think I saw one running around the wire of the chicken run today. :mad: I have to check all my birds now darn it!
Why don't you incubate? The NR360 is super reliable, and has worked great for me in the past. Theres a few tricks that I'm obviously still working out, haha, but it would be easier then waiting for your birds to go broody.

Your definitely right! I've learned, don't buy shipped eggs unless they're for a broody, don't count on a cardboard brooder to protect chick from dogs, and much more. You have a very good way of putting it.
Well maybe you'll get a pare and be able to breed them. I got Silkies because I heard they were broody as well. I love broody hens, and a Silkie to get a more guarantee hatch rate for me would be awesome!

Its a great idea! I have a bad habit of leaving all my eggs out in the coop for a few days, and that cause every singe one of my ducks to do broody lol! Have you been leaving the eggs out?
Oh no! I HATE roost mites! They're the worst! I think I saw one running around the wire of the chicken run today. :mad: I have to check all my birds now darn it!
Why don't you incubate? The NR360 is super reliable, and has worked great for me in the past. Theres a few tricks that I'm obviously still working out, haha, but it would be easier then waiting for your birds to go broody.
I think I got the saying from the movie Meet The Robinsons 😅 it's a really good saying though.

I've considered getting rid of them but I probably wont. My bonus son named them and every chick he named last year ended up dying. These are still alive! But now, I'm highly thinking about getting another one.... just don't want to raise chicks right now.

Treating 2 coops for roost mites has been a royal pain 😩 so time consuming and costly. I wasn't doing any preventative so, when we got them...they infested. I hope I'm winning because they dont seem as much as it was a few weeks ago but I've been doing this since May. I just put a sand in the coops, hoping those mites won't like it.

I bought a bunch of fake eggs so I might try again with my hens.
I'm just afraid of being overwhelmed with chicks at the moment. I think if I had a broody, I would have to stress about the temperature or the smell in the garage. Definitely waiting until DH is closer to mating his snakes.

Is the NR360 only for chicken eggs or do you think reptile eggs would work, too? Lol

Back
Top Bottom