Egg Carton HELP

lynxpilot

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 19, 2008
I've scoured the internet for bulk egg cartons to sell eggs and the prices are incredible. I finally found one that was less than $0.20 per so I start an account and go through the checkout routine only to find they want to charge me $88.00 for UPS Ground shipping on 800 cartons. So much for less than $0.20 per.

We have traditionally sold ours in re-used cartons we get from our local sheltered workshop/recycle center or from a health food store that buys our eggs. I just wanted to add a nicety to our product by having our own label.

Anybody know of a good supplier for unused cartons that doesn't overcharge or skin you on shipping charge markups?

Mine are currently cheaper than brown eggs at Walmart and mine are true free range. I'll never be able to keep prices reasonable if cartons are that expensive. I also can't afford to buy pallet loads (those are around $0.07 per carton but you have to buy about $10,000 worth).

HELP!!

I've run in to the same problem. Too bad these guys wont ship via USPS @ media mail rates.
sad.png
Not much you can do though. By the time you figure in shipping most cartons are around .30 each.

In my parts you cannot sell eggs in "used" cartons. Maybe you can find some other BYCers in your area and split an order?

split sounds good. Thanks for the idea.

Anybody remotely close to Southwest Missouri interested?

I wish you were closer to me. I was at an auction last fall and they had a tractor trailer load of egg cartons there and I got 5 bundles for 3.00 a bundle. I have no place to keep that many and they are in the way now. If you were only closer I would give you some to get them out of my way...........ed

With the way the economy is getting I, myself, wouldn't worry about what is on a carton and I don't think other people will either. I don't buy eggs at the market because the carton is pretty, I buy them because I need them. But you can ask your friends and neighbors and family to save you there cartons and when you sell to someone maybe you can ask them to bring in their empty cartons to refill them to help cut cost. Another suggestion for you is to check out ebay they sell egg cartons on there. Hope these ideas help.

In WA state, it's illegal to sell farm eggs in another egg producers carton. In other words, I cant put my eggs in to a safeway carton and sell them. Whatever carton/package I use it has to be new. Also, if I want to sell eggs anywhere other than my "farm" (where the eggs are produced) I have to get an egg handlers permit/license and a business license, and put a sticker on the carton. Luckily these three things aren't too expensive, about $50/year. Anything I sell on-site I can pretty much do what ever I want, but anywhere else (farmers markets etc) the above rules apply.

Another option, is for folks who are your regular customers, you could offer them "bring your own carton" discount. Bring your eggs to market in the big flats, they bring the cartons and in return you give them .20 off a dozen eggs.

For me it's not so much making a profit, but make at least enough to pay for my expenses so that my eggs and chicken are free.

Quote:
Sell them on Ebay and when you ship them, tell the post office they're "magazines" (media mail) it's a much cheaper shipping rate. Dont ask me why, weight it weight...

Im not aware of any egg carton laws here in IN, if there are any, but I do know that in PA, you wasnt allowed to reuse them plastic milk grates or resale them.

I know when I looked at buying egg cartons on line, I was going to get misprinted ones that were cardboard, but these ones I got at a livestock auction in OH, they have a name on them and they are styrofoam, there is about 145 cartons to a bundle and I got em for 3 or 5.00 a bundle, some have different [mixed] sizes in each bundle and some are all of the same size, jumbo, ex lg, lg and med. Im not a big on styrofoam, but for that price I couldnt refuse em. Thanks......ed

Can you get around the whole " not useing other company cartons" by printing new labels that cover the tops? This is what I was going to do, not that I need too, but I will make an offer to my buyers...they bring my cartons back, they will get a discount on eggs. ( Oh and the cartons will have to be in good shape)

Back
Top Bottom