Egg cartons in incubator

we2hens

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 15, 2012
Can you put egg cartons in an incubator to hold the eggs? has anyone ever tried that? My eggs like to roll around...apparently the metal grate on the bottom isn't exactly flat or something.

But if you do use an egg carton, how do you turn the eggs?

Just trying to figure out better ways to go about this since this is my first time. I have successfully hatched one chick with another that just pipped tonight!!
yesss.gif

I was wondering the same thing. I was going to use them but decided not to as I was afraid that when they hatched they would have no room to move around.

I have read that many people incubate in the cardboard egg cartons. I have shipped eggs in my incubator in a carton right now. I used a hole punch to add lots of air holes to the carton for each egg and cut off the lid. I rotate by elevating one end and next time I turn carton to elevate opposite end - I put in egg turner after air sack looks good at candling. I have hatched in the carton too and they did manage to get out OK, but I think some of the bumping the early hatched chicks do helps some so, I'm now hatching in muffin papers.

I have read that many people incubate in the cardboard egg cartons. I have shipped eggs in my incubator in a carton right now. I used a hole punch to add lots of air holes to the carton for each egg and cut off the lid. I rotate by elevating one end and next time I turn carton to elevate opposite end - I put in egg turner after air sack looks good at candling. I have hatched in the carton too and they did manage to get out OK, but I think some of the bumping the early hatched chicks do helps some so, I'm now hatching in muffin papers.
How do muffin papers work

I have incubated and hatched many eggs in egg cartons... bith shipped and my own.

For shipped eggs, yes, it helps unattached air cells to stay where they should.

For my eggs, WAY more eggs can fit in the incubator! ;)

When in egg cartons I prop up one side of the incubator, than the other. So the incubator is at about a 45 degree angle, first one way then the other.

I also hatch in the cartons. I am trying to remember how many (if any) losses I have had due to hatching in cartons... I know I lost a "breach" quail egg. (Pipped on bottom pointy end) but I can't remember if that has happened with a chick.

Do use the cardboard type cartons since they breathe. Also, cutting the bottoms off of the egg carton helps increase air flow, and decreases the chance of loss due to malpositioned chicks. So make the egg carton closer to rings that hold the eggs up.

There was a scientific study that compared egg position to hatching success. As I remember (don't remember where it ran off to, or its title etc.) The rate of hatch between upright, side, and upside down were the same... but speed of hatch was much faster with upright eggs.

Back
Top Bottom