Egg-cicles!? So angry...should I try to incubate?

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Ok, so I ordered my first batch of eggs off of ebay and have been sooo impatiently waiting for them. I got them today and although they are a great assortment and very well packed, they were NOT sent with the heat pack that I paid extra for! I knew it was cold here in CT, so I thought I'd give them the best possible chance. But with no heat pack, the eggs are very cold. Almost refridgerator cold. How do I know if they're ok or if I should even incubate?

I would go ahead and try. There are plenty of folks here that have successfully hatch refridgerated eggs. You should let them set out to room temps and let them settle first. Pointy side down.
Good luck.........
fl.gif

Definitely set them out for 24 hours and then load them in the bator. Nothing to lose, and everything to gain!

Then see if they'll refund the heat pack thing.

Quote:
Let them sit for a day or two to bring them up to room temp. Let the rest pointy end down. Candle to make sure they have air sacs or whatever they're called and then incubate as usual. You've nothing to lose but time. Candle again at day 7 and if all is fine leave them til the end.

Don schrider of the ALBC said if your eggs accidentally put in the fridge to use them anyhow. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Rancher

Agree with all the advice. Unless that heat pack had a way to stay warm past 10 hours, those eggs may have arrived cold anyway since most heat packs are good for only 10 hours. Since you paid extra for the heat pack, I would certainly be in touch with the seller.

Also, there is a thread somewhere on BYC regarding shipping in colder weather with very comforting news regarding the low temperatures at which eggs can travel. Please please do let them settle and warm up!

Best wishes and prayers go with your hatching! Nancy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Our current auctions:

Bonus Lavendar Orpington Eggs & 10+ Blue/Black/Splash Orpington Eggs
10+ Blue Cooper Marans & Splash Marans (Mostly Blues!) eggs
12+ Buff Orpington Hatching Eggs
10+ Crested and Non Crested Pekin Duck Eggs - No Reserve!

You do realize I'm picking chicks from under a broody hen in my coop and we've had below zero temps. Now I don't know how often she's been off the nest but I have another broody and they've switched nest a couple of times. My point being give it a shot.

I've been bringing them in so she'll finish the other eggs. I haven't decided whether to leave her with a chick or not. I may just to see what happens. So far all three are fine that she's hatched. oh and the coop is unheated, with the exception of two heat lights near the roosts.

Rancher

I had silkie eggs sent over the holidays - got stuck in the mail. Not the seller's fault, just the USPS deciding to take five and a half days to deliver priority mail. They arrived feeling like they'd been on the loading dock for days; very, very cold. I unwrapped them, gave them two hours to warm, and put them in. No way was I going to make them wait ANOTHER two days when they were already up to ten days old. I had more clears than I'm used to (I think eight of 31 sent) but I had 23 going strong as of day 7 and 20 as of day 14. So heck yes, incubate them.

As long as they are not frozen solid they are probably fine. I have had broody hens in the winter, and it takes a week or more of them laying eggs before they sit. Those eggs sat out on some really cold nights before the hen started to sit, and still hatched.

Now the bouncy nature of shipping still could have a negitive effect on them.
roll.png

Good luck.

I got info on a different topic and the guy told me flat out that he always refrigerates the eggs before incubating, I am not sure if I would do this myself but I would say yours are just fine!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom