egg color changing?

rudysmom

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Dexter, MN
My two EE hens used to lay nice green eggs almost every day. They are about 3 years old. Now I see them in the nest box, so I know they are laying, but I am getting white/light tan eggs from them (all the rest are brown egg layers). What's up with that? I know they will lay less as they get older, but I didn't think that egg color changed.

I'm not sure of the actual reason but i have several of that breed who are about the same age doing the same thing and i know its them because i have them away from the rest.

We have two little black hens about nine months old. We didn't even know they were EE's until recently, because they always laid just plain white eggs. Right around Easter time they started laying sometimes, beige. sometimes brown. sometimes blue or greenish eggs! Talk about good timing!

I was wondering about this too, and also, when a hen starts laying, will she for the most part lay the same color eggs? Especially an easter egger. I wondered if one starts out laying green, will she change to blue, or pretty much stay close to the same?

I have s4 EE's--each lays a different color- so I can tell whose egg it is (lucky for me, cuz I like to keep track!).

I get blue green, green, tan (with brown splotches), and red.

The shade of the color changes from light to deep pretty regularly and more often as they get older. The green ones change the least, but I think that's because with EE (and americaunas) that the green color is the base color (notice it's green even inside the shell-- even the tan one is green inside)

The main variations I get are the light/deep-ness of the color and the amount of splotches if they have it. I'm sure diet plays a role and since mine are freerange, the variation is great.

edited to say: All mine started with their color from the first day on; also they've never "changed" color.

Sandra

Last edited:
The only change in a hens egg that will take place is a change of shade in the egg, not from brown to white to green... etc.
If they lay green eggs, they will always lay green eggs, but might get lighter or darker depending on the time of year and how close they are to molt etc.

Back
Top Bottom