Egg Color Difference between RIR and Black Australorp?

TammyCh

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2021
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had both Black Australorps and Rhode Island Reds and can tell me if you could tell their eggs apart? I'm trying to pick breeds for my first coop, and wanted all my ladies to lay different colored eggs so I could tell if someone quit laying. I know there is a wide spectrum of "brown" in terms of eggs, and wondered if they two were distinguishable.

Thank you!

Tammy

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had both Black Australorps and Rhode Island Reds and can tell me if you could tell their eggs apart? I'm trying to pick breeds for my first coop, and wanted all my ladies to lay different colored eggs so I could tell if someone quit laying. I know there is a wide spectrum of "brown" in terms of eggs, and wondered if they two were distinguishable.

Thank you!

Tammy
I wouldnt get RIRs and Australorps together. Individual hens will lay slightly different shades, even between two of the same breed. So my hens would be different than yours. I recommend...

- A black copper maran
- A welsummer
- A RIR
- An Easter egger
- An OE

I wouldnt get RIRs and Australorps together. Individual hens will lay slightly different shades, even between two of the same breed. So my hens would be different than yours. I recommend...

- A black copper maran
- A welsummer
- A RIR
- An Easter egger
- An OE
Thank you so much! I didn't know about the variance within the same bird!

The breeder I'm looking at has RIR, Marans, and Ameruacanas that will be ready about the time our chicken tractor will be, so I think I will go with that mix.

Thank you so much! I didn't know about the variance within the same bird!

The breeder I'm looking at has RIR, Marans, and Ameruacanas that will be ready about the time our chicken tractor will be, so I think I will go with that mix.
Those breeds are nice...as long as they are pure...

Back
Top Bottom