Egg color has changed?

37 Caddy

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Have 3 of the red star breed,not sure exactly what cross they are,were purchased 8 weeks old,have been very good layers,an egg a day for the last 6 months,they are 1 year old.When they started laying eggs,the shells were a nice dark tan color,but lately the eggs have been a very light pale tan color,a very big change in color for them?.I did change their food about 3 weeks ago,i do feed them organic laying mash,just changed suppliers,egg production is still very good,just the color has changed,any ideas as to what is going on here,they are not broody?. Harvey

The color of your eggs will significantly lighten over the course of their laying season. The way it goes with mine is, we start with full color. This seems to last awhile. I notice the color start fading until it gets very light. I start finding lots of feathers and realize we are molting. I stop or drastically slow down on number of eggs I get. Then one morning i start getting gorgeous darker eggs again. Sounds like this is probably what you have going on. As long as your shells don't seem thin and the eggs look good i wouldn't worry.

Have 3 of the red star breed,not sure exactly what cross they are,were purchased 8 weeks old,have been very good layers,an egg a day for the last 6 months,they are 1 year old.When they started laying eggs,the shells were a nice dark tan color,but lately the eggs have been a very light pale tan color,a very big change in color for them?.....
Read this link from Mississippi State University Extension Program for a good explanation of how you can tell how long a flock of hens will keep laying well.
Like TXchickenchic says its all in the color or shade of the color but not in the color of their eggs. Egg color is merely a symptom.

http://msucares.com/poultry/management/culling.html

Last edited:
The color of your eggs will significantly lighten over the course of their laying season. The way it goes with mine is, we start with full color. This seems to last awhile. I notice the color start fading until it gets very light. I start finding lots of feathers and realize we are molting. I stop or drastically slow down on number of eggs I get. Then one morning i start getting gorgeous darker eggs again. Sounds like this is probably what you have going on. As long as your shells don't seem thin and the eggs look good i wouldn't worry.

X 2 - it is a natural variation of color that occurs as the laying cycle progresses.

An update on the egg color,the color seems to be coming back lately.I do have some black Copper Maran chicks,they are a month old,i do like my eggs dark?.Hopefully they will lay nice dark ones.

Back
Top Bottom