Egg color indicating what chick may lay?

amreneet

Hatching
May 25, 2023
My question is if a pullet chick is hatched from a specific egg color, does that indicate what color egg the pullet will lay in the future once it matures?

Thank you in advance!

My question is if a pullet chick is hatched from a specific egg color, does that indicate what color egg the pullet will lay in the future once it matures?
Not reliably.

The pullet inherits egg-color genes from her father and from her mother.

The egg she hatched from will mostly show what egg color genes her mother has, but does not tell anything about what her father had.

Do you have a specific egg, or a specific set of eggs, that you are trying to figure out?

Not reliably.

The egg she hatched from will mostly show what egg color genes her mother has, but does not tell anything about what her father had.

Do you have a specific egg, or a specific set of eggs, that you are trying to figure out?
:thumbsup

Thank you in advance!
In addition to what was already stated.. most all eggs start out white and get their color added. True blue (whatever that means) get pigment added earlier in the process.. making the shell blue all the way through it.

Brown and blue are both dominant to white..

This link is good for fun indicators..

https://104homestead.com/creating-egg-colors/

Not reliably.

Not currently. I'm wanting to create a flock with colored layers with ability to produce colored layers. I've got a few easter egger and splash ameracauna pullets currently, and just acquired what I think is an easter egger rooster.

Not currently. I'm wanting to create a flock with colored layers with ability to produce colored layers. I've got a few easter egger and splash ameracauna pullets currently, and just acquired what I think is an easter egger rooster.

It might be worth getting a DNA test on the rooster. If he has two copies of the blue egg gene, then all his daughers must inherit at least one copy of that gene, so all his daughters will lay blue or green eggs.
https://iqbirdtesting.com/blueegg

If a hen lays a white or brown egg, she does not have the blue egg gene at all. Since she does not have it, she cannot pass it to her daughters. So if you want a flock that reliably lays blue or green eggs, do not hatch eggs that are white or brown (or cream, tan, pink, etc-- those are all colors with no blue gene.)

If a hen lays a blue or green egg, she might also have the gene for not-blue, in which case she will give the blue egg gene to half her daughters and the not-blue to the other half of her daughters. Or a hen who lays blue or green eggs might have two copies of the blue egg gene, which means every daughter will inherit one, and every daughter will lay blue or green eggs.

Egg color genes fall into two main categories:
blue egg or not-blue egg (discussed above)
brown or not-brown

Brown eggs have a coating of brown on the outside of the egg. There are quite a few genes that affect how dark that brown coating is. White eggs and blue eggs do not have that brown coating. Green eggs have a brown coating on a blue base color.

Unfortunately Easter Eggers are not a breed so there are no standards. They can lay any color of egg. With a hen you can see what she lays but a rooster does not lay eggs so you don't know what he has to contribute.

A true Ameraucana is a breed and will have the blue eggshell gene at both locations of that gene pair. So if you can get an Ameraucana rooster and Ameraucana hens you will have a flock that lays blue eggs. Blue eggs, not green, if they lay what they are supposed to. The problem with this is that many hatcheries and some individuals call their chickens Ameraucana when they are really Easter Eggers. I wish it were easier and more straightforward.

So what can you do? One option is to breed the chickens you have and see what you get. As NatJ said, only hatch colored eggs. You may get all colored egg layers or only some. Anther option would be to only breed the Splash Ameraucana. Often when someone sells you an Ameraucana with a color designation like Splash they really are Ameraucana.

You can get Ameraucana from a breeder and explain your desire for the color eggs. Most breeders are going to be honest with you about the egg color genes their flock has.

I got some Ameraucana from a breeder for the blue egg genes and crossed them with a rooster from a brown egg laying flock. I then only hatched blue or green eggs. It took a few generations of saving pullets and a rooster that hatched from colored eggs but after a few generations I had a flock that laid nothing bu colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom