Egg color is changing

Jgrice

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Denton, TX
Hey everyone! So I recently bought a leg horn/Easter Egger mixed hen. The lady I bought it from said that the hen laid blue eggs, but I have had this hen for about three months and all of her eggs have been white in color. Then, the other day, I went outside and noticed that she laid a very blue egg! I have to admit, I was really excited. But I’m wondering, is it normal for hens eggs to alternate in color like that?

I have a white French Marans whose egg color varies broadly. Sometimes they are relatively light brown, sometimes deep dark chocolate, and sometimes speckled. She can be laying dark chocolate for weeks and then a light speckley one shows up! It does seem like she runs out of dark chocolate paint toward the end of fall ;)

I've have the same issue with my Olive layer. She was laying pretty olive green eggs, but now lays brown/pink. Haven't gotten an olive egg in a few months now from her.

I have a Barnevelder who started by laying the prettiest golden light brown eggs with lots of brown speckles. Definitely the prettiest egg in my coop. After a few weeks it changed to a medium brown egg with some larger brown dots. No clue why! Now she's on strike and hasn't laid anything since Nov 30th so I am hoping when she comes back, the speckles will return. I hope your blue stays blue!

Back
Top Bottom