Egg color mystery genetics

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
I'm trying to figure out what egg color two pullets I have might lay (I say pullets but they're like 3 months)

Heres what i know:

Grandpa was an EE. His daughter is a leghornx that laid eggs the same color as an orpington. I'm assuming that means he has the brown egg gene. His son is crossed with a bantam cochin, so what gene is the son likely to have? A brown gene or a white gene like mom?

The father of The two pullets is the EEs son with the Cochin bantam.

Pullet A hatched from a white pullet and is from the EE and a spitzhauben.

Pullet B hatched from a brown egg and is from the EE and a Calico Princess.

Last edited:
I'm not sure who Dad is.

Grandpa being an EE means he hatched from blue or green?

If that's the case he could have

Blue, and white or White and white.

The brown egg genes are made of at least 13 known different ones and they act as modifiers over blue or white.

A brown egg is white and white, with brown modifiers. A green egg is either white and blue, or blue and blue with brown modifiers.

The possibilities for the 2 pullets:

A: if dad has blue/white with brown modifiers, 50% green 50%brown
No brown modifiers 50%blue 50% white

if dad has white/white with brown modifiers, 100% brown
Without brown modifiers 100% white

B:
if dad has blue/white 50% green 50%brown

if dad has white/white 100% brown

I'm not sure who Dad is.

Grandpa being an EE means he hatched from blue or green?

If that's the case he could have

Blue, and white or White and white.

The brown egg genes are made of at least 13 known different ones and they act as modifiers over blue or white.

A brown egg is white and white, with brown modifiers. A green egg is either white and blue, or blue and blue with brown modifiers.

The possibilities for the 2 pullets:

A: if dad has blue/white with brown modifiers, 50% green 50%brown
No brown modifiers 50%blue 50% white

if dad has white/white with brown modifiers, 100% brown
Without brown modifiers 100% white

B:
if dad has blue/white 50% green 50%brown

if dad has white/white 100% brown
I don't know. Grandpa EE came from a hatchery. I just realized I never clarified the dad, and fixed that.

The father of The two pullets is the EEs son with the Cochin bantam.

Last edited:
I don't know. Grandpa EE came from a hatchery. I just realized I never clarified the dad, and fixed that.

The father of The two pullets are from the EEs son with the Cochin bantam.
Oh ok, same idea then. Sounds like the roo hatched from a blue or green, but that doesn't mean he has a blue egg gene. It's hard to say, but grandpa does sound to have the brown egg modifiers so his son should too

The son of the EE came out of a white egg
The leghorn cross hen that lays brown would have hatched from a white egg too. She wouldn't have gotten the brown from her leghorn mom. So Grandpa does have brown egg genes in there somewhere.

The son of grandpa, either has white/white or blue/white plus the brown that grandpa is passing on.

It's still a question of does son carry white/white or blue/white, so the probability is the same as what I said above.

The leghorn cross hen that lays brown would have hatched from a white egg too. She wouldn't have gotten the brown from her leghorn mom. So Grandpa does have brown egg genes in there somewhere.

The son of grandpa, either has white/white or blue/white plus the brown that grandpa is passing on.

It's still a question of does son carry white/white or blue/white, so the probability is the same as what I said above.
Oh, okay that makes sense. I thought you had thought the son came out of a blue egg

Back
Top Bottom