egg color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Katy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I just wanted to share one of my Marans eggs. This is from a girl that just started laying again after her molt. I just wanted to show that you don't need to have the insanely priced Black Coppers to get nice dark eggs.......This is from one of my Cuckoos. I got my original birds 6 years ago from a breeder who is now deceased unfortunately. And no, before anyone asks I don't have any eggs to sell. They're in with my laying flock with four different roos....3 Marans and one Buff orp.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful!

I think everyone will be able to afford Marans in the near future. So many people are breeding them at this point. But it seems like consistent dark egg color will continue to be somewhat elusive.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My cuckoos are really pretty consistant on their color, but like any other Marans they get lighter as their laying cycle progresses. I've got some wheatens that hatched from nice dark eggs, so I'm hoping when they start laying their eggs will be nice and dark too.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Katy, those are beautiful.

i have a friend who used to blow them out and make a bigger hole in the bottom. rinse with hot water. dry and then fill with chocolate. then would put them in cartons for Easter. true chocolate eggs!

5. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    Wow! That is a beautiful egg! Congrats!

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Beautiful!

7. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

So pretty! [​IMG]

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Wow, what a wonderful, dark shade. Very nice!

Jody

9. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I love 'em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by