Egg Color

Cydneybirdlova8

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 30, 2013
Can one hen lay 2 different colors of eggs? Last night my hen started laying again and I found 2 eggs in her pen. Now who else is in her pen was another chicken(hen that hasn't later yet) a small hen and a rooster. It couldn't have been the small hen because her eggs are very small. And the other girl hasn't started laying yet. So can one hen lay 2 different color eggs? One was white and one was a tanish color. Or is it safe to assume that my other hen started laying?? Thanks for any feed back!!!!!

I have known some people that rarely have this problem. When the rare occasion that they get a white egg from a tan layer happens it is almost always right after they start laying again...either after a molt or after winter break. They only ever get one from the hen then the rest are back to tan. If you get a second white egg I would suspect another girl is laying it, but if it is only one white and this girl just started back up it could be hers.

Hens only lay one color egg. That color may change slightly (ie, darken) over time; however, the color will not change.

so, yeah, the other hen must be laying.

Alright thanks everyone! I actually did somewhat of an experiment too! I out the hen in a different cage and guess what? She was laying lol easy answer I guess I wasn't thinking haha so proud of my girls!!

Last edited:
Alright though I have one more question. My other hen I think just started laying again but her first egg in like 6 months is the size of a quail egg?? She is a slightly smaller hen though because she's a mix but her normal eggs from last year were maybe a little larger than half a regular sized egg but this new one today I just picked up was the size of a quail egg? Now I have 2 quails but there both male and in a desperate cage. So can hens lay different size eggs? And like I said. She's not a new layer she's been laying for over 2 years. So any feed back would be great!! Thanks for all your guyss help!!!

Yes, they can and will often have a few small ones right after resuming laying. Nothing to worry about they will be normal size soon.

Back
Top Bottom