Egg colors

Bluecheese18

Hatching
Jun 8, 2018
IMG_5215.jpg

Hey all! My two white and black turned out to be males for sure, the brown one is a female. Originally we were told she was an Ameraucana, but she's laying a brownish egg. Is this normal? She's also only about 4 months old. She's gotten bigger since the picture was taken, also the males are gone and she's got some new Amberlink female friends (they are not even close to be old enough to start laying yet, only about 2 months old). Will try to get a better picture of her later. Just wondering if anyone can help me out on her true breed and if her laying brown eggs would be normal?

Attachments

• egg.jpeg
    egg.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 4
What that brown egg means is that she is not an Ameraucana. A true Ameraucana lays blue eggs.

I don't know where you got her but she is probably from an Easter Egger flock. There are a lot of myths and misunderstandings about colored egg layers but a lot of hatcheries and even people that have EE flocks often call them Ameraucana. She may have hatched from a blue or green egg but she did not get those genetics and will never lay a blue or green egg.

She is not a breed, she is a mix. Some people call those mutts. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with her. Her eggs will be fine, she may lay a lot of them. She can make a good pet if that is what you want. I think she is quite attractive, probably has both black and buff in her background.

What that brown egg means is that she is not an Ameraucana. A true Ameraucana lays blue eggs.

I don't know where you got her but she is probably from an Easter Egger flock. There are a lot of myths and misunderstandings about colored egg layers but a lot of hatcheries and even people that have EE flocks often call them Ameraucana. She may have hatched from a blue or green egg but she did not get those genetics and will never lay a blue or green egg.

She is not a breed, she is a mix. Some people call those mutts. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with her. Her eggs will be fine, she may lay a lot of them. She can make a good pet if that is what you want. I think she is quite attractive, probably has both black and buff in her background.

She is totally my baby. We adore her either way! I was moreso asking out of curiousity. Thank you for that information!

Back
Top Bottom