Egg Dating

Snilref

Chirping
Jun 28, 2023
California
Hell everyone. I have 8 hens, and I get somewhere between 5 and 7 eggs a day. We occasionally give away a 1/2 dozen to neighbors and friends, but we don't sell any yet. I'm wondering if there could be any benefit to putting dates on our eggs to keep track of when they were laid.

That's not a bad idea. I did that with some of my eggs (just to make sure we were eating or getting rid of the older eggs first).

I date my eggs, I put a piece of tape on an egg carton and write the date on it.
It's good to do so you know which eggs are the oldest so they can be used first, also helps if you're giving/selling eggs and you can choose the newest ones.

I date my eggs, I put a piece of tape on an egg carton and write the date on it.
It's good to do so you know which eggs are the oldest so they can be used first, also helps if you're giving/selling eggs and you can choose the newest ones.
The tape is a good idea! I'll have to remember that for next time.

Hell everyone. I have 8 hens, and I get somewhere between 5 and 7 eggs a day. We occasionally give away a 1/2 dozen to neighbors and friends, but we don't sell any yet. I'm wondering if there could be any benefit to putting dates on our eggs to keep track of when they were laid.
I have RIR so I get a lot of eggs from my 9 hens. Keeping track of them all can be a challenge so I put sticky notes inside of the 24 ct containers I use and label them by the week so I can sell my neighbor the freshest ones and use the older ones first. Dating each egg would also be a good option. I collect them quickly after being laid (especially when it's hot or below freezing) and put them right in the fridge so they stay fresh a good while.

Back
Top Bottom