Egg development, slight crack and mottled shells...Oh My!

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Good Morning,

I have an Australorp currently sitting on 15 eggs, 5 full sized and 7 bantam and 3 super tiny Serema eggs. After 2 being eaten, 2 stolen, 1 found across the yard by puppy and 1 with a slight crack when candled I am needing some help on what eggs to remove and what eggs to leave. The full sized eggs were set on a Saturday early morning and the bantam eggs set 48 hours later early Monday morning. This coming Saturday will be day 15.

My questions are:
-Do I remove the cracked egg even if it is still developing and appears to not be rotting or smelly? I check the nest when she comes off for a bit. It is one of the three remaining Serama eggs and I really don't want to discard it unless it is a threat to the whole nest.

-Should I remove the egg found across the yard? It was pretty dirty, must have been right next to the eaten egg. I had to wipe it clean with a wet paper towel. I was as gentle as can be but certain some of the coating had to have been removed. I have not candled that one, I try to not upset her too much and usually only candle the few accessible eggs at a time.

-I have "mottled" (?) eggs. I've tried to research about those and I can't find any definitive answers on removing them or allowing them time. They do seem to be developing so....

-One egg lights up like a light bulb. I was going to remove it but after really getting a good long look I did see some movement. It is a full sized egg so put on the nest earlier yet seems behind in development. This is quite confusing to me.

If anyone can offer some advice on these eggs I am greatly appreciative!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Seal the crack with some nail polish or liquid bandage.
Just keep incubating the eggs until you can see definite growth or lack there of.
Mark the eggs she's sitting on so no other hens can "add" eggs, and so you won't have staggered hatches.

Thank you @BirdsBeesTrees !

Eggs are marked and I am counting them daily to be sure none are added. I'll pick up the liquid band aid today (great tip to know!).

So I should definitely remove eggs that are not that far in development by day 15? Our last hatch only was quite weird all around but I decided to leave the ones that were iffy from lack of candling experience and really not knowing. Mama ended up staying on the nest for 3 days waiting for them to hatch and I felt awful!! She and the 6 hatched chicks are doing great now. But I do want, need and desire to learn more. Thanks!

Thank you @BirdsBeesTrees !

Eggs are marked and I am counting them daily to be sure none are added. I'll pick up the liquid band aid today (great tip to know!).

So I should definitely remove eggs that are not that far in development by day 15? Our last hatch only was quite weird all around but I decided to leave the ones that were iffy from lack of candling experience and really not knowing. Mama ended up staying on the nest for 3 days waiting for them to hatch and I felt awful!! She and the 6 hatched chicks are doing great now. But I do want, need and desire to learn more. Thanks!
The broody hen shouldn't really be sitting on eggs longer than 25- 28 days. Her health takes a toll.
I would remove the eggs that aren't up to development. You can just discard them, or put them into an incubator and keep an eye on them daily. It'd be easier to discard them, but it matters how much you want/need these chicks.

Yes, I was very worried about my hen. I kept chick food and water within reach of her sitting. I kept a close eye to make sure she was eating and drinking and caring for the first hatched chicks. I have to say though her persistence hatched a chick 48 hrs later but not sure why as they were all set at the same time.

Discarding would be the easiest option for me, though I might find some local people who may want to incubate.

Thanks again, I will candle at day 16 for large eggs and 14 for bantams and make my best judgement then on what to keep and what to remove.

Do you have any idea about mottled eggs and setting them or just discarding beforehand? Best I can tell their hatch rate is lower and they may be laid by older or not as healthy hens. But I do not always trust google when I find conflicting sources. Have you personally dealt with this?

Last edited:
@BirdsBeesTrees

Thanks so much for the tips on candling! I finally had the nerve to trust myself and have discarded 2 bad eggs. I opened them, very apprehensively, and they were starting to stink 🤢 Thank goodness I got them out! I will definitely stop second guessing myself. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom