Egg donor

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MuranoFarms, Oct 5, 2010.

1. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Why is it that my duck keep donating eggs to the broody hen? [​IMG] No matter what nest I move that little silkie and her eggs, the khaki campbell sits on her head every morning and gives her an egg!

Any idea of how I can stop her? She has to be heavy! lol

2. [​IMG] LOL!! What an image!!
    Ducks do like to share nests, but usually they are sharing with more compatible sizes. I don't know what I would do except provide some sort of separation. Can the silkie get into a nest that is too high for the duck?

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Smart duck! many people use silkies to hatch other's eggs.

4. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    should get us a picture of the duck sitting on her...

umm...keep the silkie in a brooding pen??

5. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:I should try to get a picture! I only caught her once.....she's usually done by 7 am when I open the coop. That egg is there every day though lol

Unfortunately, I'm out of space right now. When I had 2 silkies sitting, the duck would give it to the one in the back of the coop. So after hers hatched I moved them to a small pen in the coop and at first the duck laid in the empty nest. Then she found the other silkie still sitting and started giving her the eggs. lol I had a BCM hen hatch eggs at the same time....so she's in a pen on the coop floor too. I just don't have more room. I'm afraid if I move the silkie up to the 'normal' nest boxes she'll give up. Or get up to eat and forget where they are.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Perhaps she had a transfusion of Cuckoo or cowbird blood. They are big on allowing other birds to raise their young.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by