1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg eater....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LogCabinChicks, Oct 7, 2014.

1. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    So, all along we've been getting 10-12 eggs per day from 21 hens. A few of them are 2 years old and moulting. The hens are from two separate flocks, one flock is 10 young laying, the other is 21 2 year old laying. We had a few scuffles and I think thats part of the reason the two hens that are moulting are going through a very hard moult. Well, yesteray, I came home from work, visited them in the run, then went in the coop to collect the eggs. There was 2. [​IMG] I though oh, my...more stressed chickens than I thought! Then i noticed one egg had a quite a bit of dried yolk when I was washing them. [​IMG] So, 21 hens, someone is eating the eggs. But I work from 6 am to 4 pm and my husband is a corrections officer (530-330) -- so how do we figure out who is eating them?? He happens to be off today and I asked him to check on the chickens every couple hours, he went out there just now and there was 6 brown and 4 white. So--production is normal. How in the world do I figure out who is eating the eggs?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Short of putting a webcam in there so you can find out, I don't suspect one of your hens...yet. I think you have a predator getting in and eating the eggs. Weasels, minks, snakes.....just thinking.

3. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Today we're back up to 8...maybe they just had an off day....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by