Egg eating chickens

Audmet2014

Hatching
Aug 7, 2023
I have in total 15 chickens. They are all fed 16% protein feed and given ground egg shell frequently. We recently noticed our egg production dropped drastically. I figured one of the chickens was eating eggs. I put mustard filled eggs into the nesting boxes and now they’re eating those too! They seem to like the mustard. I have no idea what to do now.

I have in total 15 chickens. They are all fed 16% protein feed and given ground egg shell frequently. We recently noticed our egg production dropped drastically. I figured one of the chickens was eating eggs. I put mustard filled eggs into the nesting boxes and now they’re eating those too! They seem to like the mustard. I have no idea what to do now.
@Audmet2014 are you sure they were eating them?
Did you find wet bedding(from egg contents-they never get it all) in the nests?

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
How did your egg number change, from how many to how many?

@Audmet2014 are you sure they were eating them?
Did you find wet bedding(from egg contents-they never get it all) in the nests?

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
How did your egg number change, from how many to how many?
We are almost positive they’re eating them. We have found parts of eggs in the nesting boxes a couple times and when I filled eggs with mustard a couple of them immediately went to them and started pecking. I have 7 from last year and 7 from this year- about 5 months old. Our egg production went from about 5-7 eggs a day to 0-1.

are u positive they are eating them? could something be getting into the nest boxes?
We are almost positive they’re eating them. We have found parts of eggs in the nesting boxes a couple times and when I filled eggs with mustard a couple of them immediately went to them and started pecking. I have 7 from last year and 7 from this year- about 5 months old. Our egg production went from about 5-7 eggs a day to 0-1.

Back
Top Bottom