Egg eating?

HudsonValleyGirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Ok. My chickens started laying over a month ago. For the past week or so, I have noticed on egg every day that has a perfect hole in it. I wonder what is going on.

They eat organic layer feed from Blue Seal, and they free range often. I even give them a can of tuna once a week.
hmm.png

Usually when they start eating eggs the only thing you find is some sticky nesting material--the egg is completely eaten. If you're just finding a hole in the shell it sounds more like it's getting stepped on or perhaps the shells are thin? Have you had any problems with thin shelled eggs? How many hens are using the nest box?

I have 6 hens and they have 4 nesting boxes, but they all use the same one.
The shells do seem a little thin. Maybe some extra cal. will do the trick?

It will help, if they'll eat it.

Since they all like the same nest box I suspect a chicken toe is going through an egg. Not sure what you can do. Maybe close off the box so they have to use the others -- maybe they will spread out this time.

I wonder if this could be an egg defect?

Watching this thread....

I find those. Sometimes one a day with the new girls, and sometimes it's more rare. I thought it was exploratory pecking, without eating anything (most often the membrane inside is intact) but it could simply be another bird stepping on it, and the nail going through, as has been suggested.

I think closing off the favorite box is a good idea, they may very well spread out a bit if that one isn't available. Is there anything special about their favorite that you could duplicate in the other boxes? Putting oyster shell out free choice should help with the thin shells. Layer feed has a good bit of calcium in it and is enough for most hens, but I always seemed to have a few that needed more and oyster shell is a cheap and easy way around that problem. I have my flock on gamebird feed now instead of layer so the oyster shell is a must around here these days.

Back
Top Bottom