egg eating

isuperman35

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
If i miss a day of egg retrieving, is it still ok to eat the eggs if there is a broody hen sitting on them? Does the heat from the hen change the egg? How long after the hen sits on the egg is it still fine for human consumption?

Kelsie2290

Free Ranging
Premium member
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Ohio
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! The heat from the hen will make the embryo start to develop, here is a nice set of pictures showing it http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=73884.0 how long you still want to eat them depends on personal preference, most people don't like to see a developing embryo so not more than a day or so, on the other hand balut, where you hardboil a developing egg, is popular in some areas.

You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

TwoCrows

A Native Raven
Staff member
Premium member
9 Years
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop

Welcome to BYC!

As Kelsie has mentioned, it depends on whether or not you care to eat fertile eggs that may have started to develop. If these are infertile eggs, you can still eat them, but if they have been in the nest for days with others laying and broodies setting on them, they may not be good to eat. It is all personal preference.

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium member
10 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
Do you have a rooster? If not, none of the eggs will be fertile. Hens, can't tell the difference, when they are broody they will sit on rocks, golf balls or nothing at all.

gander007

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
South Western Death Valley, Ca.
Alright
great to have you joining the BYC flock

BYC has a very useful learning center

Sorry I just cant help myself, When I was in Asia them fertile
egg's that were set on by a broody hen normally coast more

Really just personal preference .... Enjoy your poultry

Top Bottom