Egg gathering danger

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChicKat, Aug 22, 2011.

1. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You already knew this,

I already knew this, but today, I heard the chickens making a strange ruckus, so I went to check, and saw nothing.
    Then I thought, while I'm here, I may as well see if there is an egg. Then I heard the rattle

[​IMG]

Soooo just to post a reminder to be careful, don't reach where you don't/can't see and caution the kids about snakes. The snake was about 2-feet away from the coop---and he is no longer with us.
    No chickens were hurt making this picture.

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    [​IMG] good for you are you going to eat him? [​IMG]

3. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] glad you got it before it got any chickens or kids!! wow im sooo thankful we dont have snakes here!!!! [​IMG]

4. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Glad I don't have to worry about snakes.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Y'know cat, that did cross my mind. Then feeding to the chickens crossed my mind. Then hanging on the fence---because there is an Ol' Texas superstition that a snake on the fence will bring rain.
    [​IMG]

6. MoonAngel12

MoonAngel12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    Scary! But what a beautiful snake (although, only from a distance [​IMG])...

We had a similar experience, but thankfully it was a non-venemous black rat snake. DH told me I officially had 100% chicken duty after that! (He's terrified of snakes and was NOT thrilled to find one in the nesting boxes one evening).

7. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    HOLLY $%#! $%## Bat Man! I would have fainted right there on the spot had I found that anywhere on my property.

8. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    We have snakes but very few poisonous, mostly black snakes, bull snakes, and garter snakes. I have heard of the occaisional praire rattler though. Be carefull even if you don't think you have snakes you just might get a suprise.

9. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
  10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Holey moley !!! [​IMG] I would have had to change my pants when I got back to the house no doubt. To scary for me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by