Egg has externally pipped but beak looks stuck!

No moving and the beak with that goo on it doesn't sound promising, the baby may have aspirated fluid from the egg and passed already I'm sorry to say. :(

If that is the case there likely wasn't anything you could do after it externally pipped as it had probably already aspirated the liquid into its lungs. High humidity during the first 18 days of incubation can sometimes cause this kind of thing to happen as the egg doesn't lose enough fluid which can cause drowning and other hatching issues.

I hope I'm wrong and your little one makes it out for you or you are able to successfully assist, good luck! :fl

If the membrane is dry you can start slowly pulling it off the chick. Take the egg out at this pointe if you don’t get it out it will die. Pull the shell then the membrane.
And yes, I said peep at it. Loudly. Peep peep peep!! Mother hens encourage her new chicks. Encourage yours too, see if it peeps back at you. I hope it's okay and peeps back.
i do that family laughs but it works

Hello! I am fairly new to incubating eggs so I would appreciate any ideas that you might have about by dilemma.
It is day 21 and three out of the seven have successfully hatched. However, one of the ones that began pipping about 3 hours ago has stuck it's beak through the pipping hole but has not moved or peeped since then. (I can see a slight opening and closing of the beak so I am guessing it is alive and breathing.) Since it has not been moving, making progress or even chirping for several hours, I lifted the lid of the incubator slightly to peel back a little piece of the shell. So far, still hasn't moved. Could it's beak be stuck and require an assisted hatch? (I would like to avoid an assisted hatch if possible...)

Thank you so much for any advice you can give me!

Hey there Chickynewbie41! With 3 already hatched it sounds like you’re doing great. If the beak looks stuck I would just gently unstick it so it can breathe better. Maybe try to break tiny pieces away around it. I wouldn’t push on it too hard but just enough to see if it’s actually stuck. If it doesn’t get enough oxygen it won’t turn out well. Let us know how it goes. If you send a picture we can always tell more about the situation. If that’s possible to get a picture. Wish you the best!

Back
Top Bottom