Egg hunt

Madvalleychick

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
So I’m finding eggs all over the place now that at least one of my chickens has started laying (how I’ll ever figure out who it is is beyond me...). I’ve got four nice nesting boxes, and they have golf balls... will the chickens just figure out that they’re the place to lay eventually? Do I move their Real eggs in the boxes for a bit to give them the message (I could sacrifice an egg I suppose)? I don’t mind the egg hunt... but any advice is welcome. I’ve found eggs under the nesting boxes, under a picnic table and in a corner of the hen house so far.

I agree- keep them locked in for a few days until they get the message. If you already have golf balls in the nest boxes you shouldn’t need to put real eggs in too. Also to determine who is laying- check their pelvic bones. - pick up the bird, feel for the bones on either side of the vent, a laying bird will have these bones at least two finger widths apart, non laying ones will be much closer together. It’s very obvious once you feel the difference.

I agree- keep them locked in for a few days until they get the message. If you already have golf balls in the nest boxes you shouldn’t need to put real eggs in too. Also to determine who is laying- check their pelvic bones. - pick up the bird, feel for the bones on either side of the vent, a laying bird will have these bones at least two finger widths apart, non laying ones will be much closer together. It’s very obvious once you feel the difference.
Thanks! I am going to enlist my son to help me catch and check their pelvic bones. So interesting! My one concern with cooping them up is the rooster. He’s quite the personality and I’m worried he will drive the girls crazy locked up. Can I let him out alone and keep them inside?

Thanks! I am going to enlist my son to help me catch and check their pelvic bones. So interesting! My one concern with cooping them up is the rooster. He’s quite the personality and I’m worried he will drive the girls crazy locked up. Can I let him out alone and keep them inside?
Sure!

I am going to enlist my son to help me catch and check their pelvic bones. So interesting!
Do it at night after dark, they are much easier to 'catch' then.
Here's some graphics:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Can I let him out alone and keep them inside?
Yes.
Have they been in the nests exploring at all?
If not, might want to put one in a nest.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom