1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg in an Egg????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazy4spurs, Aug 14, 2011.

1. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    [​IMG]
    This morning my husband was cracking our first egg from our girls and it was a "Monster" egg....much to our surprise...there was an egg inside the egg! Anyone else ever had that happen?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW [​IMG] that is different ... nope never had that happen....

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    nope but that just made my day thanks for sharing

4. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] I would have never thought that possible! Wow! Thanks for sharing! 0.o

5. crazy4spurs

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    I guess my hubby ate a Million Dollar egg...lol Here is a pic of the results:eek:
    [​IMG]

6. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    My geuss is that your chicken developed a egg, and then didnt lay it. And then made another that developed around that one and then layed them both . But im no expert, that just my guess.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Do you get to tally that as two eggs?

Pullets sometimes get really funky lays in the beginning. The eggs aren't passing through fast enough so get caught up in the shell development again. There is a link on here somewhere where two eggs were attached by a shell cord.

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Someone posted an egg in an egg pic last week on BYC. The pullet who produced it was also a new layer. New layers can lay some unusual eggs as the get into the egg laying routine. Soft shell eggs are more common.

9. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    Wow! That's really neat looking! Is your hen OK? I always wondered if that could happen...[​IMG]

10. crazy4spurs

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    That was also my first thought...I hope my hen is ok. Checked them all out once I got over the size of the egg and they all seem to be fine. Can't wait to see if we get any more like that. Here is a picture showing the size difference....
    [​IMG]
    First is a store bought Large Brown Egg....then one of my first eggs....then my "Monster Egg in an Egg" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by