Egg in an Egg????

crazy4spurs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
102593_double_egg_2.jpg

This morning my husband was cracking our first egg from our girls and it was a "Monster" egg....much to our surprise...there was an egg inside the egg! Anyone else ever had that happen?
hu.gif

102593_double_egg.jpg

My geuss is that your chicken developed a egg, and then didnt lay it. And then made another that developed around that one and then layed them both . But im no expert, that just my guess.

Last edited:
Do you get to tally that as two eggs?

Pullets sometimes get really funky lays in the beginning. The eggs aren't passing through fast enough so get caught up in the shell development again. There is a link on here somewhere where two eggs were attached by a shell cord.

Someone posted an egg in an egg pic last week on BYC. The pullet who produced it was also a new layer. New layers can lay some unusual eggs as the get into the egg laying routine. Soft shell eggs are more common.

That was also my first thought...I hope my hen is ok. Checked them all out once I got over the size of the egg and they all seem to be fine. Can't wait to see if we get any more like that. Here is a picture showing the size difference....
102593_sizes_of_different_eggs.jpg

First is a store bought Large Brown Egg....then one of my first eggs....then my "Monster Egg in an Egg"
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom