Egg in leg????

Andaloosa

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Lago Vista
I noticed tonight that one of my Americaunas has a lump on the outside of her thigh. I picked her up and somewhat examined it and it didn't seem attached to her body other than via her skin holding it. It would flop around if she were to run, so the skin isn't holding it super tight and I can get pretty much behind it with my fingers.
I took her to the house to do a needle biopsy (used to work for a small animal vet, so I have a lot of supplies on hand) and in trying 3 different places, nothing came out. The first, the needle went in only a tiny bit & then hit what felt like bone. When I tried the other two, I went through something that seemed a little 'crunchy' but I could draw nothing out. When I pulled the needle out, she didn't bleed.
It was my husband that suggested maybe it was an egg. If I squeeze it, it doesn't seem to budge, but it seems to be the right size, shape & weight. So is it possible that she layed an egg wrong and it went under her skin into her leg??
We don't handle our chickens much, so I'm not sure how long it's been there. I do know that the 2nd of Jan, she did lay an egg, so things still seem to be working ok.

Thoughts??

hu.gif

Thanks, Robin

I'm not sure if that is even possible. It sounds like some sort of cyst or tumor. I'd lance it to see if it will drain, unless you want to take her to the vet. I wouldn't spend that kind of money myself, but you might not mind. I'd do a little chicky surgery if it were my bird and pack it with gauze till she heals.

I'm thinking that if I didn't get anything out when I stuck a pretty good size needle in, that lancing it won't produce anything either. Although if it is a tumor of some kind & I lance the skin, maybe I could remove it.
Not prepared to take her to the vet, especially since I have a $500+ surgery coming up for my dog.
hmm.png

I'd get it out whatever it is. It sounds like it would be a nuisance to her. It also sounds like it is just under the skin, so it may not be too difficult. Cut it out, and stitch her up. I would before I left her that way. Poor little chicky..I hope she gets better
smile.png

If you lay her on her side and cover her head/body with a towel, or wrap her in a towel so that her head is covered, she will probably just lay still. try to do the surgery on a clean area near a sink or over a sink...use gloves and eye protection in case its staph... and you can probably spray bactine or put a little anbesol on the skin to numb it...just dont use alot because birds sont do with with any pain killers that end in -caine.
Have some neosporin and bandages ready and needle/thread in case its a huge cut. If you can get it out without a huge cut, all the better.
Take pictures so we can see this and what it is!!
If you have a helper its best in case she wont lay still...but Ive had little trouble cleaning out bumblefoot in this way.
If you feel comfortable with it, inject her with some penng following the directions for poultry (you can get this stuff at first state vet supply or randall burkey among other places)

Let us know how it works out....I would definitely take it out whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom