Egg incubating fiasco - advice please! *New Pictures!*

Not all babies make it out, and there are all kinds of reasons why. There is not much you can do for the baby until it has broken into the internal air cell, because it is not ready to breathe yet and will bleed to death if you open the membrane. However, it's also possible it's just really slow getting going because of the unusual incubation circumstances. It may have been sitting in a cool spot, and that will slow it down significantly. For now, just keep it warm and candle it from time to time. It may surprise you. Good luck to the little one!

I've thought about getting it out, but like you say there could be a reason why it hasn't pipped yet or it may not be ready. The only thing that confused me was the peeping - I thought they only peeped once they were in the air cell? I really want this one to make it, though of course I'd be happy with the three I have already... It may have actually been in a slightly cooler place as I realise the lamp head was turned slightly away from this egg, but it has been moved since for a couple of days. Should I wait to see what its like tomorrow? You never know, by the time I check on them again there may be a development!
lol.png

Oh, if it's peeping, it's pipped internally. They can't peep until they break into the air cell any more than you can talk with your head under water.

Even a difference of a single degree in temp will slow a hatch down. It is probably just running behind the others and the best thing, again, is to wait. Give it a few days and I bet somewhere in there it'll start pipping. Good luck again!

Ah okay, well I was already worried cos the air cell was quite small. How would I make a hole in the shell if it came to it? Maybe I could make a hole and then leave it to get nn with it, then at least I know it has enough air...?

Last edited:
This is when i would start to help! I had mallard eggs and i had to help 2 out of the 4 babies out! I used a tweezers and very slowly start to peel away eggs. If you get to any part that looks connected still dont pull anymore! But it is up to you and many people would say to let nature take its course. the 2 babies i helped ended up being perfectly healthy!

Oh Adam, so sorry that you are going through this too. You may want to try getting it out. My last had "pushed out" a spot on the shell but it was barely cracked. That is where I went in. I just chipped away at the shell and used a pin (carefully) to cut the membrane. After someone on here said it looked like it was getting shrink wrapped, I found some videos on youtube that gave me the courage to do more. Luckily, it all turned out well.

Good luck.
fl.gif

Right, turns out there was a pip but not up where the air cell is where I expected. There is a piece of shell off but the membrane is yellowish, do I need to help it now? It is still pushing there but I'm not sure if it'll be able to do it.

I've been searching the forum and it seems that if the membrane is white then that's a problem? Not yellowish? Should I still be worried? It's weird cos the other eggs when I saw the membrane it looked white and they hatched fine... I'm very confused
lol.png
Anyone have any information/advice?

AdamD77...... I SAY WAIT A LITTLE LONGER. The humidity might be a little low. }}} You have had low temp & humidity which will affect/slow down/delay a hatch. ~MY HATCH DAY(28 days) WAS the 7th.. THEY DIDN'T HATCH TILL the 11th & 12th I had marked with pencil where the air cells were so i kinda had an idea where they would pip (so i didn't put the air cell towards the bottom of bator, my air cells were kinda big on most eggs & went more towards the side not at the fat part) & One of the babies pipped at the bottom of the egg. It took extra long for that little fuzzy butt to get out all the way. ~The Babies Name is.. "UpSiDeDoWn"
fl.gif
Be patient baby will be fine.. fingers crossed for you.. }}}In my opinion.... I don't like to see yolk when you try and help.. Mine ended up dieing b/c they just weren't ready to be born when i tried to help. but then another time i didn't help and they died anyways.
idunno.gif
Good luck, ~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom