Egg incubating fiasco - advice please! *New Pictures!*

Duckling is still moving and seems to get more active when im breaking away shell.. Saw a little bit of blood about quarter of an hour ago so I've stopped for an hour or two. Will I need to remove the whole lot of the shell and membranes or will it push itself if I 'zip' for it?

My grandpa used to say, "If there not out in 3 days, give em' a little help." He said after about 3 days they get stressed. And let me just tell you... My grandpa knew everything.
smile.png
(And raised everything for that matter.) LOL! I aquired my love of poultry through him.

How long has it been since it made the first external pip on its own? Remember that it can take 48 to 72 hours to get all the way out on its own from that point, and that it is in no danger from taking too long as long as it's not showing signs of stress. On the other hand, if you help it too early it can result in a weak baby that has not absorbed the yolk fully and will not thrive as easily once out. If it is peeping strongly and there is enough of a hole for it to breathe, I'd leave it be and just watch for warning signs. The last one out is always the hardest one NOT to help, because even if it's only been 24 hours, it SEEMS much longer because you've been watching eggs for days and they all kind of run together. This is why it's important to take notes on times for each egg--so you always know how long it's been for each one.

I think chances are good that whichever way you do it, the little one will be fine. Or not, if it has something congenitally wrong, but most likely it's just experiencing the results of an unpredictable and fluctuating environment during incubation. I think your best plan of action is to relax and let it be, but everyone has to do what seems best to them. This is how we learn.

Good luck!

Yes, you might as well. I'd say its not going to make it on its own and its chances even with help are very slim. I don't think you have anything to lose, if its alive, start making that opening larger every hour or so and see how it does. Sounds like it got in the wrong position in the shell and is pretty stuck. It may be defective and isn't very likely to make it either way, sorry to say. Just be prepared to lose it and take take any blame on your side, you've done what you can for it.

I AGREE WITH iamcuriositycat... My major concern now is that "if left too long in the egg", the legs & feet being cramped/smashed. I've had that happen too.. I'll tell ya.. it's dammed if ya do & dammed if ya don't. IS THERE STILL MOVEMENT FROM THE BABY? As long as theres movement thats good. I Honestly don't know what to do or what i would do. things i have mentioned in posts is in my expereance. Some people are quick to say you should help & break the shell, but when I 1st started hatching i always read to leave the helping till the end, when theres no other options but to help b/c its"not always good to tear the membrane" . no matter what, i think you don't want to remove all of the shell & membrane leave it for the baby to help with to make it stronger. GOOD LUCK, ~Julie~

Thanks for the advice but by the time you all posted I already got it out! I let it do the final pushes itself to get out because I thought if I didn't the baby might not be strong enough in the next few days. I'm not too sure if its okay or not. At first it was very sleepy. It picked up a bit after a few hours and has been sleeping a pot but is relatively active wuen awake and peeps quite a bit. We've left it in the incubator as like an intensive care unit in case the others were too boisterous for it at the moment. One thing I am worried about is the naval(?) I don't know if its supposed to be reddish and sticking out and if it will just dry out and drop off? It may be bleeding the tiniest bit, as I could see a speck of blood on the white towel where is was... Should I put something on it like Sudocrem?

CONGRATS ON THE FINAL HATCH... Did the baby get all the way out on its own? Did it absorb all the yolk & blood stuff inside the egg? IN MY OPINION... You should leave baby alone to rest and dry, DON'T PUT IT WITH THE OTHERS... I don't know if you should put any thing on its stomach. ~I will try to find out whats best for that from a member that I know of, hopefully shes around}} (ASAP). That's what I hate is when your in the middle of, or trying to do something that your not sure about and then theres no constant help. ~ My self, I need a step by step as i go instruction guide.~ lol I have learned that you might get a lot of posts/answers & then you don't know what in the heck to do so now I try & only rely on the help/posts from certain people which whom "I believe" really know whats best. (although there are some posts that truly mean well) Good Luck, you did great,
thumbsup.gif
~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom