Egg incubating fiasco - advice please! *New Pictures!*

Congrats!!

Sometimes when they have a hard time getting out, or if they are helped too early, they won't have absorbed the yolk all the way yet, and it will look like a yellow or red bulge on the belly. This is not too worrisome, especially if it is not extreme and you keep it in the *humid* incubator for a while. It might even be helpful to keep it wrapped in a warm damp cloth to prevent the belly from drying out. Be very very careful to keep it very clean--wash your hands before handling, and use only very clean or fresh disposable cloths and very clean water. If the yolk is not fully absorbed, it can absorb environmental contaminants directly into the baby as it goes in (another reason why it's good for the yolk to be absorbed first).

But overall, I think this one has a really strong chance. I've had some hatch with the yolk not fully absorbed, and they did just fine. They will tend to be sleepier and slower starters than "full term" and "easy hatch" babies. But they usually catch up.

You did great! What an amazing, inspiring hatch--all without a proper incubator, and on your first time. Really remarkable! Good job, and congratulations. Give yourself a pat on the back.
big_smile.png

AdamD77... This is what I found out~ Its most likely just the belly hasnt closed over the remaining yolk sac.. it should be ok if kept clean and dry. Any yolk remaining will dry up and fall off in a few days- otherwise the belly will close up in a few hours after hatching. I hope this helps. ~ My source for info was busy at work. lol Hows the babies doing? I WOULD STILL KEEP THE NEWEST BABY SEPARATED FROM THE OTHERS for a while so it can heal & rest. Good luck, ~Julie~
jumpy.gif

Congratulations! When I helped mine out the other day it looked the same that you described. Its belly dried up by the next morning and the following morning was doing so well that I took it outside with its family. Its tiny compared to the others but is keeping up wonderfully. Good luck with your new baby.

Well the baby made it through the night! I still don't want to get my hopes up though, its probably going to be a while before I can say he's okay for sure.

I managed to get him to eat and drink today! That's a good sign I think. He's also been more active but still very sleepy at times, like right now
tongue.png
We've still got him in the incubator with the scarf to snuggle into. He seems to have pooped too a couple of times and he's been preening a bit too. The red blob seems drier today so fingers crossed everything's okay with that. I'll get some photos later! I've not had a chance to go on the laptop the past couple of days with all the chaos with eggs plus having people over to stay yesterday/today, I've been using my phone!

I just want to say thank you all for your advice and support! I wouldn't have got this far without it!
big_smile.png
hugs.gif

Hello everybody! Like I said, this past week has been so hectic and exhausting that I haven't had a chance to even go on my computer let alone upload pics on here! But I now have time so here we go!
big_smile.png

Here is Number 4 when he was in the incubator in isolation
lol.png

280618_10150319519928064_745053063_9471978_5753749_o.jpg

The day after he hatched the blob had dried out a bit, but even now it's still there, but shrivelled. We started taking him out a day or two after hatching and even introduced him to Number 1 on our laps so that it wouldn't be such a surprise when we moved him in with them.

279040_10150319519323064_745053063_9471970_8309397_o.jpg

A couple of days ago we decided to move Number 4 into the brooder with the others and after a few squabbles (he's so small compared to them!) they are getting along okay now
smile.png

271931_10150319518193064_745053063_9471953_852271_o.jpg

Finally, we now have one name. Duckling number 1 is now named...........Pogo!
big_smile.png

265742_10150319520893064_745053063_9471981_3146105_o.jpg

We're still thinking of names for the other three, so feel free to suggest
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom