Egg incubating fiasco - advice please! *New Pictures!*

Do a search of the site and see whta it says. I remember reading about one not here to long ago that had to be helped out.

Maybe try chipping away some of the shell it has already pipped with a saftey pin and see if that helps. Once you can see more of the membrain and it looks leathery and tough then it is dried out. Take a wet qtip and moisten it every couple hours and see if that helps. Sorry i am not of much help. Best of luck!

Last edited:
KEEP IN MIND YOUR TEMP & HUMIDITY EVERY TIME YOU REMOVE THE EGG OR OPEN THE LID.. ITS VERY IMPORTANT.. Have you been talking and peeping to the baby?
fl.gif
yippiechickie.gif
~Julie~

Thanks for the advice 1234duck. I will probably wait til tomorrow morning as like I have said that will be 5 days late like my longest baby was and it seems yours was too. I have only opened to throw some more socks in to raise humidity, though I did open a few times earlier on in the day to candle so maybe that was what's caused this. featherfinder, moving some of the already cracked shell won't do more harm will it? And yes, I've been peeping lots and its been peeping back and rocking lots!

Last edited:
If you see membrane that is hard, leathery and yellowish, I would definitely make a small hole where the bill is so your baby can breathe and put a warm, damp paper towel directly over the egg (but allowing air under it) to keep the humidity up. What I described is what you get when they dry out. I use tiny hemostats (or tweezers) to tear a small 1/4" tear where the bill is and, if the membrane is really tough, I'd come back in an hour or so and make it a bit larger and chip a small amount of shell out of the way. If the membrane is dried out and leathery, your duckling will likely need help, but you'll have to be patient, it also needs to struggle, move and absorb its yolk and blood vessels. If it can breathe and you help it make slow progress, it ought to be ok.

It's hard, so don't be discouraged if this one doesn't make it. You do the best you know how and not all of them do. Good luck.

Thank you, I think I'll do what you suggest, make a little hole and then leave it to get on with it. How should I make the hole? You say with tweezers but I don't understand how? Pull at it or poke a hole?

Very carefully try to grasp it with tweezers and tear a small hole. If you see any blood, stop immediately and wait a while.

Don't poke anything sharp into it.

Okay, I managed to make a small hole in the membrane to give it air. I thought I'd give it overnight to see if it made progress and it hasn't... Do I need to intervene properly now or do you think it may still make it out on its own?

Back
Top Bottom