Egg Journals. What info do you record and what do you do with it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Redangler, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Redangler

Redangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Bradenton, FL
    First time Chicken owner who has 10 hens but only one is currently laying. Since she started laying I have been keeping records of how many eggs are being laid each day. I have also weighed each egg and recorded the weights as well. My main purpose is to see the growth of the eggs as they start laying and keeping a record of many eggs we are getting for each day, month and year. I hope to be able to tell which breeds are producing better. I would also like to know individual hens laying activity but I know this would be hard to monitor. I was wondering if anyone else is doing a similar records book and what they are using this for?

2. Redangler

Redangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Bradenton, FL
    Does anyone else keep an egg journal?

3. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I keep a journal, but my purpose is different than yours. I want to make sure I'm making enough money to pay for the cost of the feed, and any other costs. I use a calendar. I write down how many eggs I get, how many I sell, and the cost of my feed and other items. I'm just trying to make sure the price of my eggs is paying for my hobby.

4. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I put one together about 2 years into our chicken adventure. I did it mostly to be able to keep track of which chickens were from which batch, how old, molts, how well they're producingn, etc.

5. ricsike62

ricsike62 New Egg

Jun 28, 2012
    Ádánd, Hungary
    I started keeping a journal from the beginning of the year, just for curiosity. I enter the number of eggs collected during the day onto an excel spreadsheet - that calculates monthly and yearly (thinking ahead) totals. Yes, I have FAR too much time on my hands...

As of yesterday I average exactly two eggs per day from 6 hens (we are right in the middle of winter with heavy snowfall).

Ricsike

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

x2 except I make enough money for extra's and even enough to pocket some. So my hobby is making money so it's great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by