Egg Laying Breeds for a Backyard

Kholts

Songster
Feb 11, 2019
Canada
Hello everyone,

I am a new member (though I have already posted a thread in the “managing your flock” section. I originally thought about starting a flock of chickens but thanks to a certain member (*aghem* PirateGirl) I am now researching and considering ducks (using this sights articles and breed reviews). Whether I go all ducks or a portion of ducks I am still undecided.

After doing some research I have found a few reasons why I believe ducks would be perhaps more suited for me. (Please let me know if you do not agree with some of my points or if I have been Miss informed during my research) Here are some reasons.

•I live in a cold climate (our winters are known to dip below -25 degrees Celsius) & we only get about 3 months of steady summer heat (average day being 20-30 degrees Celsius).

•By my research it sounds like the egg laying breeds of ducks gives you more eggs a week(reliably) per bird than chickens. More eggs per bird a week=less birds to keep. Does that math sound right?

• egg production doesn’t go down as fast the older they get. Which would mean less replacing or culling of birds every spring.

• easier on my garden boxes then chickens while free ranging in the summer. Though the grass may take a beating when I provide a pool or if it rains :gig

• egg laying breeds (other than Muscovies) don’t seem to be able to get off the ground very well? I only have a 4ft tall chain link fence around my back yard. I was kinda worried about the chickens free ranging and being able to possibly perch on the fence or glide over the fence completely if I forgot to keep up on clipping wings. I feel like I wouldn’t have to worry too much with ducks. They will have a house and run for security and predator purposes.

• overall breeds can be friendly towards children. I have 2 young boys who I know are going to want to help and interact daily.

I do realize there are some downsides to ducks but so far my positives outway the negatives.

Now here is where I’d like your input. These are the breeds available to me in the spring (at our local critter market event) which do you believe would be best suited for egg laying and quietness factor (ducks aren’t silent I know that. Which do you think are generally quieter breeds for hens). I have put an asterisk by the breeds I believe are best for me.

Indian Runners*
•Muscovies- pretty much Vetoed due to them liking heights
•Cayugas *
•Welsh Harlequin *
•Pekin-noisy & a lot of poop according to reviews?
•Crested
•Rouen
•Saxony*
•Khaki Campbell- Too noisy?

Of your list I'd do Saxony or Welsh Harlequin ... mostly because I like their looks... that's all I have....:idunno

.... but here is a breed comparison chart that might help, it has info on temperament, size, laying, flying, etc :

http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparisonNew.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=23569473

Edit:
btw, on the temperment 1 is calm, higher is less calm... took me a bit to find where they stated that (it's on the bottom of the page), the first time I looked at that table... so I figured I'd mention it.

Yay ducks! I will also say though, ducks poop a lot, but so do chickens. If your ducks are fully fenced, I would say you need more square footage per duck than you do with chickens in order to manage sanitation.

I do not have any of the breeds that are your top choices, so I will leave that to others to chime in.

Ducks drink more water daily and need swimming water at least sometimes. Think about how this can be accomplished in advance and also how this may (or may not) impact your expenses.

You mentioned a garden, another pro to having ducks is that their waste water and bedding can go straight into the garden and will not burn up your plants and will help fertilize your garden. Waste from your chickens needs to break down a bit first and is too hot to go straight into the garden.

That was my plan! A couple different breeds. Learn what I like.

I don’t really want a drake and would prefer hens. Are ducks different then chickens in that they need a male around to lay?
no, they will lay without a male but if you want to hatch eggs you need a drake. How many are you planning on getting? Right now I have 6 girls and 1 young boy who is coming into manhood soon. I learned that 2 drakes don't always work very well together although other people have that and it works. It just didn't for me.
I love my runners because they're so funny looking. From a distance when I watch them it looks like they're moving on rollers.

:thumbsupI don't have ducks, and quite frankly don't know much about keeping them in real life. I wanted to get some a while back, but in my research found that they have to have clean water deep enough to clear their nares. For me that meant I didn't need ducks. I have enough of an electric bill keeping chicken water thawed (heated bases and founts) and tank heaters for a few cattle and horses when the ponds freeze in the winter. Plus winter chores just stink...I wouldn't want to dump and clean duck water. I know people must do it, it's just not for me.
Keep us posted...I may have to reconsider ducks! Wink, Wink!

If you want them mainly for eggs, I would go with runners and/or Khaki Campbells because their eggs are about the size of a standard Jumbo Chicken egg. Other duck eggs are bigger. They do slow down quite a bit as they get older just like chickens, so you will still have to rotate if eggs are your main goal. If you want pets and eggs are a side effect, I am a strong advocate of the mixed flock (what I have) because then they are easy to identify and get to know. All my ducks laid an egg every day in their first year. Laid about 85% in the second year with a brief time out for winter (Maybe January and half of February). And in their 3rd year they probably averaged about 50% and I haven't seen an egg since September. To tell you the truth, I don't notice that any breed has been doing better or worse than another. I can definitely tell my Rouen, Runner, Cayuga eggs from the rest, but I am not positive about my Welsh Harlequin, Swedish, Buff eggs as they look about the same. Only one of my two drakes lays eggs and he's only laid 3 or 4 to date (which is pretty good for a drake). :gighttps://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/daily-duck-egg-report-for-2015.951206/page-35#post-14854756

Back
Top Bottom