Egg Laying Breeds for a Backyard

no, they will lay without a male but if you want to hatch eggs you need a drake. How many are you planning on getting? Right now I have 6 girls and 1 young boy who is coming into manhood soon. I learned that 2 drakes don't always work very well together although other people have that and it works. It just didn't for me.
I love my runners because they're so funny looking. From a distance when I watch them it looks like they're moving on rollers.
Are runners ok with the cold? I know they were originally tropical birds.

I am hoping to find either Ancona or a magpie at the Critter Event I’m going to. So far no one has either breed listed as selling.

I’m going Welsh, Saxony for sure and I’m thinking a runner (listed as selling) unless I can find magpie, Ancona or silver Appleyard.

Getting 4 total.

I lucked out on my Ancona babies. I found out that our local chicken swap had a lady from 3 hours away coming with some ancona ducklings. She had only 10 available. I was the first to get them and picked up a black one, chocolate one, and a lilac one. I got them at a steal for only $5 each! I regret not getting more, but looks like the black and chocolate ones may be female and the lilac may be a male if I go by voice. So I definitely plan on breeding them next spring.
View attachment 1757887

Aww don’t you just love when things work out? Haha I definitely would breed especially if they are harder to find. Even if your just breeding for yourself!

Aww don’t you just love when things work out? Haha I definitely would breed especially if they are harder to find. Even if your just breeding for yourself!
Cackle Hatchery has Ancona and silver Appleyard ducklings available right now if you were interested in ordering some. You can check out their website for pricing.

Back
Top Bottom