Egg Laying Breeds for a Backyard

If I could add another duck to the list:

Ancona ducks They are beautiful (in my humble opinion), very friendly, good egg layers, meat is reputed to be delish, they aren't good flyers. Come in a variety of colors.

I did research that breed and it was high on my list. Unfortunately they are not a breed any of the vendors at my market listed for sale. However if when I am there I see Ancona ducklings well you better believe I will probably get it as I believe it is better suited for me then say an Indian runner. Pretty too!

What about Indian runners? I'm partial to them because thats what I have and I love them to death. They do not fly, and they are such funny little birds that produce great amounts of eggs! Your kids will love them and they look and walk so different from what most people have and I think thats makes them unique.

I just put Indian runner in my post because it’s the only one that popped in my head while replying. I should have said Cayuga. Indian runner would serve me well because of their egg production especially compared to a Cayuga although I think Cayugas are absolutely gorgeous! I honestly think I’m going to be splitting hairs when finalizing breeds.

That was my plan! A couple different breeds. Learn what I like.

I don’t really want a drake and would prefer hens. Are ducks different then chickens in that they need a male around to lay?

That was my plan! A couple different breeds. Learn what I like.

I don’t really want a drake and would prefer hens. Are ducks different then chickens in that they need a male around to lay?
no, they will lay without a male but if you want to hatch eggs you need a drake. How many are you planning on getting? Right now I have 6 girls and 1 young boy who is coming into manhood soon. I learned that 2 drakes don't always work very well together although other people have that and it works. It just didn't for me.
I love my runners because they're so funny looking. From a distance when I watch them it looks like they're moving on rollers.

Ok so just like chickens. I don’t want to hatch just EAT.

Originally I was going to do chickens then heard about ducis. At this point I am unsure if I want to still get chickens and ducks or just go ducks.

If I do a mix I’ll probably only get 2 ducks then 4 chickens but if I go ducks only then I’m thinking 4 ducks.

Your 5 hens... approx how many eggs a week do you get? Ideally I’d like to get 2 dozen a week enough for my household and then some to sell to family in order to offset monthly costs(feeding, supplies, first aid kit).

Back
Top Bottom