Egg Laying Breeds for a Backyard

:thumbsupI don't have ducks, and quite frankly don't know much about keeping them in real life. I wanted to get some a while back, but in my research found that they have to have clean water deep enough to clear their nares. For me that meant I didn't need ducks. I have enough of an electric bill keeping chicken water thawed (heated bases and founts) and tank heaters for a few cattle and horses when the ponds freeze in the winter. Plus winter chores just stink...I wouldn't want to dump and clean duck water. I know people must do it, it's just not for me.
Keep us posted...I may have to reconsider ducks! Wink, Wink!

If you want them mainly for eggs, I would go with runners and/or Khaki Campbells because their eggs are about the size of a standard Jumbo Chicken egg. Other duck eggs are bigger. They do slow down quite a bit as they get older just like chickens, so you will still have to rotate if eggs are your main goal. If you want pets and eggs are a side effect, I am a strong advocate of the mixed flock (what I have) because then they are easy to identify and get to know. All my ducks laid an egg every day in their first year. Laid about 85% in the second year with a brief time out for winter (Maybe January and half of February). And in their 3rd year they probably averaged about 50% and I haven't seen an egg since September. To tell you the truth, I don't notice that any breed has been doing better or worse than another. I can definitely tell my Rouen, Runner, Cayuga eggs from the rest, but I am not positive about my Welsh Harlequin, Swedish, Buff eggs as they look about the same. Only one of my two drakes lays eggs and he's only laid 3 or 4 to date (which is pretty good for a drake). :gighttps://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/daily-duck-egg-report-for-2015.951206/page-35#post-14854756

:thumbsupI don't have ducks, and quite frankly don't know much about keeping them in real life. I wanted to get some a while back, but in my research found that they have to have clean water deep enough to clear their nares. For me that meant I didn't need ducks. I have enough of an electric bill keeping chicken water thawed (heated bases and founts) and tank heaters for a few cattle and horses when the ponds freeze in the winter. Plus winter chores just stink...I wouldn't want to dump and clean duck water. I know people must do it, it's just not for me.
Keep us posted...I may have to reconsider ducks! Wink, Wink!

Oh yes I agree. Sounds like you have your hands full with chores indeed! I will most definitely keep everyone updated!

If you want them mainly for eggs, I would go with runners and/or Khaki Campbells because their eggs are about the size of a standard Jumbo Chicken egg. Other duck eggs are bigger. They do slow down quite a bit as they get older just like chickens, so you will still have to rotate if eggs are your main goal. If you want pets and eggs are a side effect, I am a strong advocate of the mixed flock (what I have) because then they are easy to identify and get to know. All my ducks laid an egg every day in their first year. Laid about 85% in the second year with a brief time out for winter (Maybe January and half of February). And in their 3rd year they probably averaged about 50% and I haven't seen an egg since September. To tell you the truth, I don't notice that any breed has been doing better or worse than another. I can definitely tell my Rouen, Runner, Cayuga eggs from the rest, but I am not positive about my Welsh Harlequin, Swedish, Buff eggs as they look about the same. Only one of my two drakes lays eggs and he's only laid 3 or 4 to date (which is pretty good for a drake). :gighttps://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/daily-duck-egg-report-for-2015.951206/page-35#post-14854756

Set infornative post! Thank you :) pretty darn impressive that your drake is laying! I’m curious have you tried eating it? In your post you said it is yolkless but I’m still curious if the egg white would taste the same?

Set infornative post! Thank you :) pretty darn impressive that your drake is laying! I’m curious have you tried eating it? In your post you said it is yolkless but I’m still curious if the egg white would taste the same?

Of course it is impossible for a drake to lay, but it has been kind of an ongoing joke with us because every once in a while someone is laying these tiny gumdrop sized eggs. There really wasn't much to try eating. I assigned them to Tevye because he was our non-dominant drake and used to be cowed by our other drake (Kaine) and would hide in the nesting boxes with the girls. He also eats oyster shell more than a drake really should. All that changed last winter when he got sick of being beat up and realized he was bigger. He beat up KIaine a couple times and now we don't really have a dominant drake any more because Tevye still isn't much of a leader but Kaine can't really assert himself either.

Last edited:
Of course it is impossible for a drake to lay, but it has been kind of an ongoing joke with us because every once in a while someone is laying these tiny gumdrop sized eggs. There really wasn't much to try eating. I assigned them to Tevye because he was our non-dominant drake and used to be cowed by our other drake (Kaine) and would hide in the nesting boxes with the girls. He also eats oyster shell more than a drake really should. All that changed last winter when he got sick of being beat up and realized he was bigger. He beat up KIaine a couple times and now we don't really have a dominant drake any more because Tevye still isn't much of a leader but Kaine can't really assert himself either.

Haha I know drakes can’t actually lay. I was just wondering if no yolk at all changed the taste at all.

no, they will lay without a male but if you want to hatch eggs you need a drake. How many are you planning on getting? Right now I have 6 girls and 1 young boy who is coming into manhood soon. I learned that 2 drakes don't always work very well together although other people have that and it works. It just didn't for me.
I love my runners because they're so funny looking. From a distance when I watch them it looks like they're moving on rollers.
Are runners ok with the cold? I know they were originally tropical birds.

My favorites would have to be WH and Anconas. But the Anconas are super friendly, wonderful egg layers, and excellent foragers. And as a plus, dominance isn't their thing, so you would have far less quarrels, and they would be very accepting of any new birds introduced to the flock.

I am hoping to find either Ancona or a magpie at the Critter Event I’m going to. So far no one has either breed listed as selling.

I’m going Welsh, Saxony for sure and I’m thinking a runner (listed as selling) unless I can find magpie, Ancona or silver Appleyard.

Getting 4 total.

Back
Top Bottom