1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Laying Increasing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by felidaet, Dec 21, 2009.

1. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    This is my first winter with chickens. Egg production slowly dropped from 13 + eggs in early October to about 6 per day the end of November. I expected the egg production to stay low until the days started getting noticeably longer in late Feb. WRONG.... Since the first of December egg production is gradually increasing. Today I got 13 from my 17 pullets! I know this is not a fluke because the three prior days I got 12 each day. Maybe it is because they are getting nearly no garden scraps, weeds, etc. now and so they are eating more of their layer pellets. I am not using artificial lights. A couple of weeks ago I used a red heat lamp for a few days to keep their water from freezing but it has been turned off for more than a week. Is anyone seeing their production increase?

2. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    My chicks are doing the same went from 5 to 7 eggs a day to 12 to 18. Silly chickens

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Nope not me, I have 26 hens and I get 3 to 4 eggs a day. [​IMG] I'm getting sick of them. I may soon start eating a lot of chicken.

4. luvbiddies

luvbiddies Out Of The Brooder

I am seeing an increase, but I have a light on from 3:00 am to 5:00 pm. Out of my 7 pullets, 5 are laying. In fact one of my girls, a Isa Brown laid such a big egg today, I was afraid she was going to strain something and guess what she laid a double yoker!!!!

5. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I've been getting 8 or 9 a day from 9 laying. It looks like number 10 is getting some red in her comb.

I was sure with weather below freezing, and 2 feet of snow I'd see a drop off, but the day of the big storm, 9!

I do have extra light, but no extra heat. Mine oldest started in mid October, and then I picked up about 1 a week after that.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I got my chick in late May. Right now out of 22 pullets I am getting 12. It is slowly increasing as we are now getting a new layer so i will soon be getting 13.

7. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    HAHA, I'm only getting one egg a day, but only one of my girls is laying so thats not too bad! ;D

8. PDXRN

PDXRN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    we got our chicks in June they are about 28 weeks old and two of them are laying a Barred Rock and EE. They have both started in late Oct and have increased their production. They have seemed to be hampered by either the recent cold weather we have had nor the shortening days. It may just be timing. Our chicks get a few hours in the yard each day and get more treats than they probably should.

9. TDB

TDB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    We went from getting 1-3 to 7-12

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not yet, but I'm hoping I'll be on the increase since the days are going to start getting longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by