Egg laying problem!!!

mando4mary74

Chirping
Aug 24, 2018
My hens have started acting weird! They have been on the decline as far as egg production for several weeks. We felt like it may be because we had to remove the rooster around that time and had a hen that was removed and then re-introduced. Well, the decline wasn't terrible and we had been having a heat wave, but, the past few days, they go in and throw out all the bedding in the nest boxes and cackle like they have laid but there's nothing! They all seem fine and healthy to me, but, I'm sure that don't mean a lot ha ha. Any suggestions of things to try??? I sure would appreciate it. To put it into perspective, we have 9 hens and are getting between 2 and 6 eggs a day, but, lately on 3-4 a day. Thanks again!

Have you checked for lice/mites? Check for worms? Any chance they could be laying somewhere else or that mice/rats have been in the coop?

PS...are they molting?

Last edited:
Have you checked for lice/mites? Check for worms? Any chance they could be laying somewhere else or that mice/rats have been in the coop?
I have checked for external parasite and worms. No signs that I could see. I have looked high and low for a hiding spot for eggs with no avail. I thought about a mouse or rat, so, I started going out every few minutes today to check and see and only 3 went in to lay today. I wondered if they slow down when it is really really hot? That's the only real change we have had lately...

I have checked for external parasite and worms. No signs that I could see. I have looked high and low for a hiding spot for eggs with no avail. I thought about a mouse or rat, so, I started going out every few minutes today to check and see and only 3 went in to lay today. I wondered if they slow down when it is really really hot? That's the only real change we have had lately...

Yes, heat can have an impact for sure! So can upset from the flock changes you mentioned. Do you provide oyster shell for calcium?

You can't see all worms, many are microscopic so you would need to send for a fecal float test through a vet to know for sure on some of those.

Forgot to say that rats are most active early morning and evening about the same time your flock is getting up or ready to roost. They may not be out during the day.

Back
Top Bottom