Egg laying question

Tigurary

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2018
My six month old rir hen just started laying and I've gotten a few eggs from her now. My bantam americauna however has yet to start. I know it can be different for each hen but I was wondering if maybe pecking order might make a difference. My rir is a standard so much bigger and obviously the dominant hen compared to my bantam. I was wondering if that might affect egg production or if I just need to be patient Also my rir is laying in both boxes so will she maybe not lay if there's another hens eggs in it?

Included a pic of the eggs I've gotten so far. I think they're all from my standard considering the similar size. Colours are different though

Attachments

• IMG_20181206_134456.jpg
    IMG_20181206_134456.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20181206_133442.jpg
    IMG_20181206_133442.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 8
They all lay in their own time. As long as they all look healthy, don't fret too much. I had a flock that was all the same age, but different breeds, the earliest laid at 5 months, the latest laid at 11 months of age. If you are in the northern hemisphere, you may not get eggs until after the solstice, December 21, when days start getting longer again.

If your RIR is a bit of bully and won't let your bantam in the nest box, the bantam will still lay, she'll just find another spot to do it.

Yep...they lay when they are ready not much you can do but wait.
I know you worried because I think we all do until it happens. It’s like waiting to exhale....a big sigh of relief that their body’s are working right. Been there too.
Best wishes

Pecking order shouldn't make a difference, unless it's extreme.
A picked on bird is a stressed bird and that can affect laying.
Hopefully it's not extreme and there is plenty of space for the subordinate birds to get away from the dominant ones.

Back
Top Bottom