Egg laying slowing down in winter--does vent get dry?

primatologica

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
My girls were all born in April, and 5/6 began laying this fall. I've noticed a drop off in how many eggs I'm getting as the days are getting shorter (I'm in the upper midwest). I've noticed two of my girls who previously had moist vents now have dry vents. Am I correct in understanding that this is normal, that they are probably done laying until spring, and that the vents will get moist again when they start laying again?

I'm not totally sure, but I believe their vents can get dry when taking a break in laying.

Laying slows down as daylight hours shorten. Hens lay mainly off daylight hours. They need about 14 hours to make an egg.

My girls were all born in April, and 5/6 began laying this fall. I've noticed a drop off in how many eggs I'm getting as the days are getting shorter (I'm in the upper midwest). I've noticed two of my girls who previously had moist vents now have dry vents. Am I correct in understanding that this is normal, that they are probably done laying until spring, and that the vents will get moist again when they start laying again?
My hens won‘t let me any where near their vents. I didn‘t know they were wet or dry.
I think the overriding factor are the hours of sunlight in a day which encourages or lessens egg production. If your girls just started laying it maybe they are young and their production may not slow down as much next fall.

Yes, vent and pelvic spacing change depending on if a bird is laying or not.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Yes, vent and pelvic spacing change depending on if a bird is laying or not.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Thank you! Our Indian Runners hatched in April, June, and September 2020 amd they started laying in February 2021 and it picked up in the Spring.
They didn‘t stop until I cleaned out the nests a few weeks ago. Now 3 of 5 are laying. I think it is the 2 that were broody all summer who now are not laying.

Thank you! Our Indian Runners hatched in April, June, and September 2020 amd they started laying in February 2021 and it picked up in the Spring.
They didn‘t stop until I cleaned out the nests a few weeks ago. Now 3 of 5 are laying. I think it is the 2 that were broody all summer who now are not laying.
Not sure if the link I posted applies to ducks.

Back
Top Bottom