Egg Laying

Chickenlover36

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Ive been feeding and watering my chickens but they will not lay!
he.gif
Any ideas will help!

They are 2 years old and they are rhode island reds. Its layer mesh and i have no idea what im doing with suppliments

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with cluckin_crazy, those are both reasons that chickens wouldn't lay for a period of time. I don't know where your live, or how bad the winter has been, or how long since they've actually laid. I had a spell over the winter when it was real cold and my girls really slowed down. I went from about 8-9/day to 2 from 11 girls. Someone suggested BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) and red pepper be added to their diet. I used both and my girls started laying again and continued even after getting cold spells. They'd been down for around a month or more. I've stopped the red pepper now, because we have warmer weather now, but regularly (daily, if I have it) give them BOSS. Not sure if it was just good timing or it actually worked. Best of luck.

If you free range? Look for an egg stash. They may not have established themselves to your nest boxes and may be hiding their eggs.
Lots of fresh water and feed available at all times?

With the longer daylight, I wouldn't think light is an issue anymore, as we are up to 12 hours of natural daylight.

Sadly, people do sell chickens and are not truthful about their age. Another possibility is that they really need to molt and start their third laying season.

Back
Top Bottom