1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EGG LAYING

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noobi_rooster, May 20, 2007.

1. noobi_rooster

noobi_rooster New Egg

Apr 25, 2007
    At what age do Hens lay eggs..If we even have a Hen:D..We have 2 bantam chicks. Got them on May 16 th ..I know it will be awhile... but my daughter wanted me to post ..

I am first time chick/chicken owner and feel dumb asking all the questions but i want to keep the chicks alive ..and it's kinda kool to raise them..

any info is welcome

thanks

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    hens usually begin laying eggs between 22-26 weeks. [​IMG]

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    noobi_rooster, you shouldn't feel dumb about asking questions. [​IMG] I've had chickens for about 6 years now and am still learning.

In my experience bantams usually start laying later then their standard counterparts. But the only bantams I have are Silkies and Japanese. Japanese are wonderful layers, btw, I really, really love this breed, even though they're a bit phyco. lol

4. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:As my favorite high school teacher used to say, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask! [​IMG] I've only been on these boards about 3 weeks, mostly lurking, and have learned so much. There are many, many very smart chicken-parents on these boards. Best of luck with your new chicks! You're right, they're very, very cool to raise.

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Anytime between 5-6 months usually.

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I have had many bantams go up to 11 months before laying their first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by