Egg parts

gullybrush

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
I have at least one chicken (of 16) that lays a long slender
egg about 2-1/2 to 2-3/4" long. The small end tip is thin shelled and looks kind of wadded up and the thick and thin albumin is very thin and spreads out in a frying pan like an old egg from the store. Otherwise, everything looks normal and tastes fine. Anyone know what this is about?

I have at least one chicken (of 16) that lays a long slender
egg about 2-1/2 to 2-3/4" long. The small end tip is thin shelled and looks kind of wadded up and the thick and thin albumin is very thin and spreads out in a frying pan like an old egg from the store. Otherwise, everything looks normal and tastes fine. Anyone know what this is about?

Welcome to BYC! Thin shells usually means not enough calcium. As for the albumen I'm not entirely sure how to change it. Can you post a picture of the nutrition label on here like this one?

welcome-byc.gif

Do you know which of your girl's is laying eggs like you describe? If you do, can you tell us about her (age, breed, state of health, any stresses lately, etc.). Has she always laid eggs like that or is this a recent development?

More details may help.

Thanks for your reply. My feed ingredients are basically the same within 1%, except my feed has something called Phytase and has something to do with phosphorous. I read about it but have to admit I didn't quite understand it. I had another response with some good links to visit. One had a very good explanation of egg quality problems, which mentioned infectious bronchitis, but my chicks don't have any of several other symptoms of IB. Several mentions of stress and/or age related flaws in eggs. I have 4 old hens. I guess I'm through panicking now. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom